Amy's Reviews > Ragdoll

Ragdoll by Daniel Cole

bookshelves: physical-arcs, best-of-2017

All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

This had one of the most explosive prologues I’ve ever read, it was amazing and really set the tone for the book. It always delights me when a book can shock me early on and this one surely did. After the prologue, you fast forward to four years later and are thrust right into a gruesome murder case with Wolf and team. A sadistic serial killer has fashioned a ragdoll together made of six different people and using six different body parts to create a creepy and shocking corpse. This is such a twisty plot the less you know the better, but with such a chilling premise and some really outstanding writing from Cole, this one is a winner.

While this is a police procedural as you follow the case alongside Wolf, Baxter, Edmonds, and Simmons, the author did something unusual that I really appreciated. Cole didn’t spoon feed readers obvious details and explain unnecessary things, instead he took the approach that the reader is intelligent and allowed you to reach your own conclusions and work out the details on your own. This was clever and almost made me feel like I was actually part of the team. There were no long, drawn out recaps, you need to focus on what is being said in order to stay caught up. I had no problem with this and was completely focused and engrossed throughout.

I haven’t fallen so hopelessly in love with a detective since Sirens and Wolf reminded me a bit of Aidan. His past is super complicated and though I feel I have a good sense of who he is, there is so much still to explore. Wolf has a dark, sardonic sense of humor, in fact the whole book has this trait which I love. This is intricately plotted and had some stunning twists that left me reeling, I changed my mind more times than I can count. I’m so happy this is the first in the series, especially after the way things ended, I HAVE to know what happens next. With fantastic characterization, a unique storyline, compelling situations and strong writing, Ragdoll has earned itself one of my spots on my best books of 2017 list already. (Yes, I know it’s only April, it’s THAT good) Cole is an exciting, impressive new voice in crime fiction and I cannot wait to see what he comes up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ragdoll.

January 2, 2017 – Shelved
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 2, 2017 – Started Reading
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: physical-arcs
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: best-of-2017
April 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia I've held this book in my hands at least three times and always decided to go with something else, because this sounds so grim. I read so much crime fiction (very much along the lines of your reading), but this sounds exceedingly grim. But I trust your review and those of my fellow good reads friends who love it. Is it very nightmarish, or should I give it a try?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Malia wrote: "I've held this book in my hands at least three times and always decided to go with something else, because this sounds so grim. I read so much crime fiction (very much along the lines of your readi..."

It's definitely very dark. It's an amazing book though and didn't bother me too much.

message 3: by Malia (new) - added it

Malia Amy wrote: "Malia wrote: "I've held this book in my hands at least three times and always decided to go with something else, because this sounds so grim. I read so much crime fiction (very much along the lines..."

Thanks, Amy, I think I will try it. I'm looking for a really gripping mystery, and the one's I've read this summer have been hit and miss. I'm reading the new Ruth Ware right now, and am struggling a little getting into it.

message 4: by Crumb (new) - added it

Crumb I, like Malia, have gotten this book and put it down, deciding to go with another choice. I have read many, many crime fiction novels before and I am not sure why I keep hesitating on this one. I think I am going to take the plunge!

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Amy!