Sean Higgins's Reviews > The Divine Comedy, Vol. 3: Paradise

The Divine Comedy, Vol. 3 by Dante Alighieri

bookshelves: fiction, kindle, omnibus, print
Read 2 times. Last read November 25, 2019 to December 6, 2019.

2019: While I don't know where exactly Dante got all his ideas on the celestial spheres, I do know that reading one man's imaginative effort about it increases my desire to find out the truth of it in person. I need none of Dante's exaltation of Mary (theologically or positionally in heaven) or merit, and I want much more face to face fellowship with God Himself (see 1 Corinthians 13:12-13; 1 John 3:2). But there is great glory, light, and munificence to celebrate in this final piece of the Comedy.

2017: I don't know what I was expecting, but I should not have been surprised by the movement through heavenly planets having read Lewis' The Discarded Image. That was great. Not great was the preeminence given to Mary. And as long as I could think of Beatrice as a representation of divine happiness things were fine, but reading Dante's lines toward Beatrice as herself was...weird. I'm glad that in the final lines Dante enjoyed perfect affections, but then what? Still an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Divine Comedy, Vol. 3.

January 2, 2017 – Started Reading