Brad's Reviews > The Mosquito Coast

The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux

bookshelves: personal-mythology
Read 2 times. Last read July 24, 2008.

Paul Theroux understands fathers and sons like few authors I have read, but I still struggle with Allie Fox's descent into madness. Part of me feels that we are supposed to struggle with his descent, to feel pity and empathy for him, but part of me feels that I am expected to feel anger and hate towards him -- things I do not and can not.

Whether this is the failure of the author or the reader is beyond me, but it is enough to drop this book out of my true favorites (and it was one of my favourites before my most recent rereading), making it a mere curiosity that I am compelled to return to once every decade. Of course, that in itself tells me that The Mosquito Coast is definitely worth the time I spend immersed in its world, but I can't help wanting to apportion blame to myself or Theroux or both of us with a degree of certainty.

The more I read Theroux's work, however, the more I think that he and I are simply incompatible. We are that high school couple that should fit perfectly but don't. I want to love him, but I can't, and I think it is about time we break up. C'est la lecture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mosquito Coast.

Finished Reading
March 25, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 24, 2008 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2009 – Shelved as: personal-mythology

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Nice.

Kenneth P. "Of course, that in itself tells me that The Mosquito Coast is definitely worth the time I spend immersed in its world, but I can't help wanting to apportion blame to myself or Theroux or both of us with a degree of certainty.

message 3: by Kenneth P. (last edited Jun 19, 2012 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kenneth P. Brad... why would you ever feel guilty here? You want to love Theroux but you can't. Brad, get a grip!

Brad I will try, Kenneth.

Anna Brad, I recommend 'Dad' by William Wharton.

Brad Going to look it up right now, Anna.