Joanne Clarke Gunter's Reviews > Am I Alone Here?: Notes on Living to Read and Reading to Live

Am I Alone Here? by Peter Orner

bookshelves: books-reading-writing, essays-nonfiction, memoir-life

A delectable treat of a book for literary fiction readers. Peter Orner is a very good writer and this book is full of admiration for many well known writers (and some not so well known) whose writing has left an indelible mark on Orner. I love books about books and this one was particularly wonderful for me because many of the same writers he cherishes are also cherished by me. William Maxwell! William Trevor! John Cheever! Bohumil Hrabal! But also Chekhov, Kafka, Welty, Walser, Bellow, Salter, among others.

This is a book about books and writers (especially the short story masters), but it is also a memoir of Orner's life as he reads and rereads his beloved favorites. This book is a joy to read and highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Am I Alone Here?.

January 2, 2017 – Started Reading
January 2, 2017 – Shelved
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: books-reading-writing
January 2, 2017 – Shelved as: essays-nonfiction
January 4, 2017 –
page 181
57.28% "Peter Orner is a very good writer and this book is a treat for literary fiction readers. Any writer that writes lovingly about books by William Maxwell and William Trevor (among others) can count on me to read what they have to say."
January 5, 2017 – Finished Reading