Pricky's Reviews > Haven

Haven by Kristi Cook

Jul 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vampires, werewolves, i-want-to-be-twilight

It seems to me that the latest (view spoiler)genre just seem to repeat itself over and over again:
1. New girl at school
2. Meets mysterious cold-blooded boy
3. Girl and Boy have some cosmic connection to each other
4. Girl and Boy must resolve some relationship conflict to why they "can't" be together.

Sound familiar?

While I really enjoyed Cook's writing style, there were too many similarities (view spoiler)(yes, you know which one). Violet is a girl with some paranormal abilities (she has premonitions about the future) who finds herself at a special boarding school (think X-men) where she meets a mysterious boy. While the initial half of the book drew me in, as soon as the similarities showed up, I had a harder time finishing the book (not because the writing was poor but because I just wanted something more original).

(view spoiler)

By the way, did I mention that there's also a (view spoiler) in the story who...surprise, surprise is of course the (view spoiler)....hmm...heard that one before?

Basically, if you never read that OTHER (view spoiler)book, you probably wouldn't be as perturbed. The premise of the story IS interesting (the idea of a special school for kids with special paranormal abilities) and I wish the story could have focused on that instead of Violet and Aidan's relationship. Also, the fact that Violet is destined to be a (view spoiler) seemed a bit unrealistic for me and seemed like just something to add to the story to add more conflict. (view spoiler); we don't really find out why just speculations...Why add that if there's no reason. Lastly, the description of one of the side effects of vampirism (view spoiler) was just unnecessary and personally, a bit disturbing and doesn't add anything to the story except (view spoiler) And the point is?...

Cook does write entertainingly enough and her scientific description of vampirism was interesting, but I am disappointed it sounded like another book I've once read.

And sorry about all the Spoiler Tags...Maybe someone who hasn't read that "OTHER BOOK" might enjoy this one.

CAUTIONS: There are some subtle sexual references aside from the above description and some swear words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.

message 1: by Lis (new)

Lis So glad I read this! I was really on the fence about reading this one, now I think I'll move it to the bottom of my TBR pile :D

Pricky HopelessWanderer wrote: "So glad I read this! I was really on the fence about reading this one, now I think I'll move it to the bottom of my TBR pile :D"

Unless you want to read a Twilight rerun, I say move on :D I really don't understand how so many books can be published with such clear Twilight similarities! I've heard Carrier of the Mark is so identical that another reviewer actually went through and marked it. I don't remember who reviewed it, but it was pretty funny.

message 3: by Lis (new)

Lis Pricky wrote: Unless you want to read a Twilight rerun, ..."

Hahaha, I think I've read that review, it had me laughing pretty hard. Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris was also that way for me. Not really really similar like this one sounds, but basically just a cross between Roswell and Twilight. Literally. Entertaining but annoyed. I've read Twilight, and I don't want to just keep re-reading it. I want something original, you know? :)

Pricky HopelessWanderer wrote: "Pricky wrote: Unless you want to read a Twilight rerun, ..."

EXACTLY!! The hard part about reading SO MANY books is that you often stumble across something that reminds you about another story (which doesn't have to be all that bad if it's just one thing) but when it's an entire copy-cat plot line...I often wonder what the author was thinking and isn't it embarrassing for her/him?

message 5: by Lis (new)

Lis I know! I would be SO embarrassed, especially if things were so similar (ie Carrier of the Mark) How close do you need to get before it's called plagiarizing, you know? It's a scary thought that authors are toeing that line more and more lately. I get that Twilight-esque books are what sell, but I wish publishers knew that there are plenty of people out there who read a lot, and who would like some actual originality, not fan fiction with a fancy new title. :)