K.'s Reviews > My Year of Epic Rock

My Year of Epic Rock by Andrea Pyros

bookshelves: 2017, audience-middle-grade, contemporary, own-it-kindle, disability-or-medical-condition, setting-usa

Quick and cute middle-grade book about a 7th grader with anaphylactic allergies to peanuts and eggs. First of all, OMG YES. There are SO many kids these days who have food allergies, who have to carry Epipens everywhere, and it was awesome to finally see some representation for those kids and how difficult their lives can be, particularly if their peers get all "OMG WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T EAT _____???"

But really, this is a book about dealing with what happens when your BFF suddenly decides they don't want to be your BFF any more, and they don't even really want to be your FRIEND any more because they've found someone cooler to hang out with.

I felt for Nina so many times during the course of the story, because OMG GIRL WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE AND IT HURTS. But at the same time, she kind of bugged me because she was SO WORRIED about being perceived as a loser for having allergies and for sitting at the allergy-friendly table with kids who, you know, understand her condition and ACTUALLY LIKE HER.

I loved that this dorky group of kids with food allergies named their band The Epipens. I liked that there's a super minor romance in the story. I liked Nina's voice. I liked how supportive her parents were.

That said, the title is eeeeeever so slightly deceptive, because the book starts out with the first day of seventh grade and finishes on Halloween so........it's really not a YEAR. (I also had an issue with the fact that her classroom teacher didn't know that she had allergies severe enough to warrant carrying an Epipen. Because, like, that's hella negligent on the part of the school. Maybe the US is different in regards to what teaching staff need to know about their students, but...yeah.)

But really, those were niggling issues that didn't really detract from how fun this was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year of Epic Rock.

January 2, 2017 – Started Reading