Emma's Reviews > The School for Good and Evil

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

I was searching for a middle grade book with complicated characters and interesting themes; that is exactly what I found in The School for Good and Evil. Friendship is one of the things this book focusses on most. Agatha and Sophie look like a pair that no one would expect, but their bond continually survives all the obstacles thrown at them. Ultimately it is what's most important in their lives.

My favorite part of this book was the question posed again and again. What is it to be good? Is it about looking good, looking like you are loving? Or is it about being selfless and viewing the world as what is true instead of the exterior? Agatha was my favorite character because she viewed the world in the latter way. She forgave Sophie again and again, holding out hope that she would change. Agatha also understood (or came to understand) that the world is not black and white, good and evil. It is full of humans who are both together.

I also enjoyed the atmospheric writing style. At times, it was difficult to understand because I was trying to grasp every single detail. That's not how this book is meant to be read. It's written not to give you a play by play, especially in the action scenes, but to convey magic and a picture. It's very whimsical. The author captured the feeling of the original Grimm Fairytales in this book.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't give it five stars because the first half of the book was a bit slow for me, but halfway through it picked up, and I said outloud, "this is great." I can't wait to continue the trilogy and see where these characters go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The School for Good and Evil.

January 1, 2017 – Shelved
January 6, 2017 –
page 215
January 8, 2017 –
page 360
73.77% "This is getting soooo good"
Started Reading
January 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Atika Kalaiy i relate to the characters so damn much which is weird for me. It's so whimsical c: