Morgan's Reviews > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Mar 25, 2008

Recommended to Morgan by: Lisa Wuertz
Recommended for: those with strong stomachs

Okay, I didn't finish this book. I started, and was really excited. It had all the elements of a story I'd love: foreign setting, new cultures and customs, a strong female lead. However, after the 3rd chapter it was apparent I could go no further. The title of said chapter? "Footbinding".

Now, I didn't know much about footbinding. I still don't know a lot, but what I read in those few pages was not only enough to distress me, but almost make me physically nauesous. Really, I almost threw up from what I was reading. That's never happened to me! I tried to get past it, skip the chapter. But there was some really important developments to the plot that happened here, so I had to skim, and in turn, see more of the footbinding process. After that chapter was done, I couldnt' stop thinking about it. Everytime it was mentioned in passing, I wanted to throw up. I literally had to book the down and calm myself. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to pick this one up again.

I am sad, because I've heard this book is wonderful, but I think this is a personal boundary I won't get over. I still think people should read it, because some people will surely be able to handle this. I'm also not rating it, because I don't want to screw up the system just because I'm physically weak.

I'm REALLY glad foodbinding is illegal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

Lisa Wuertz Now this one I definitely recommend!

leweiss Owww... Too bad... the story itself (except for the footbinding) was ... interesting (heartbreaking..)

I didnt cry a river... but the story had me feel... sad for a couple of days.

Colene I had the same experience! I could not even finish that chapter and I could not stop thinking about it.

Andrea I'm having trouble getting through the foot-binding too. I liked her other books, so I'm going to try and persevere, but right now the outlook is not so good.