Sara's Reviews > A Conjuring of Light

A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab

Actual Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Well. This series has sent me on quite the ride over the past few months. I got A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC for Christmas and started it shortly afterward, gobbling it up (not literally, of course) in 3 days and finishing on New Years Eve. Then I waited until this book - Book #3, A CONJURING OF LIGHT - came out so I could binge on the rest of Shades of Magic. A GATHERING OF SHADOWS was just as awesome as DARKER SHADE, if not more so.

And A CONJURING OF LIGHT? Apart from one minor quibble, this was one hell of a finale.

I won't include a summary; it would mean spoilers for DARKER SHADE and GATHERING for anyone who haven't read either yet. Just know that CONJURING starts rights after GATHERING's end and amps up everything to the nth degree. Cinematic action scenes that take your breath away. Biting wit and sarcasm that makes you laugh out loud. Vividly portrayed feats of magic that will leave you slack-jawed. More reasons for why V.E. Schwab's parallel Londons are altogether one of the most inventive and memorable fictional worlds ever created.

And blood. Blood and more blood, just about everywhere in CONJURING. Shades of Magic isn't really gory, but if you haven't read this series yet, know upfront that THERE WILL BE BLOOD AND LOTS OF IT. (*evil finger steeples*)

But you know what I loved most about CONJURING? Rhy and Holland. Both characters undergo a tremendous amount of growth in this final book. Rhy, the prince without magic, flamboyant and frivolous, emotional and carefree, finally has a chance to prove his own inner strength - and though it's painful to witness, it's a smashing success. And Holland... Poor Holland, who's suffered so much abuse and loss and corruption in his lifetime. We learn so much about his past during CONJURING, and once I understood him better, he won my sympathy. I almost cried during his final chapter.

If I had to be honest, there were a few points during the first half of CONJURING that seemed out of place or... well, boring. At 600+ pages, this is a beast of a finale, and its length weighed on me at times. But once the second half kicks into high gear, I almost forgot about the minor issues I had early on. Almost.

That, however, doesn't change how mind-blowingly special the Shades of Magic series is as a whole. If you haven't checked out these books yet, please do. They'll walk you into worlds untraveled, envelop you like shadows, fill your imagination with the most brilliant shades of red, white, and black, with some grey in between.

I can't express how sad I am that this series is over. I already miss Kell, Lila, Rhy, Alucard, and even Holland. But the most magical stories (fantasy or other genre - and no pun intended, either) are the ones that you love so much, you revisit them over and over again.

I have a good feeling I'll be doing that with all three Shades of Magic books. :)

(Btw, if you're also a Skyrim fan, read the last several chapters while listening to "Wind Guide You." It fits the tone of CONJURING's ending perfectly.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conjuring of Light.

January 1, 2017 – Shelved
January 1, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2017 – Started Reading
March 17, 2017 –
page 20
3.21% "It's BINGE-FINISHING TIME. :D"
March 18, 2017 –
page 64
March 19, 2017 –
page 120
19.23% "Why do I have a feeling that just about every status update while reading this book will be along the lines of OMGOMGOMGOGMASJJAKLJFKAJFKJALAAAAA? XD"
March 20, 2017 –
page 190
30.45% "Still loving this so far, though one of Lila's scenes in Part 4 was... well, weird. In an out-of-place / hard-to-follow way, that is."
March 21, 2017 –
page 283
45.35% "I'm not sure what I'm going to enjoy more: Kell's first boat adventure outside of Red London, or the ultimate Kell-Alucard bicker-fest. I'm not usually a fan of constant antagonizing... but I love it when these two get on each other's cases. XD"
March 22, 2017 –
page 323
51.76% "I like how ACOL is using some of its page-time to explore Holland's character some more. We get to learn about his past through flashbacks, and it's shedding some much-needed light on who he is and where he's been. In fact, I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him..."
March 23, 2017 –
page 370
59.29% "Still enjoying this, but it's starting to feel a bit long..."
March 24, 2017 –
page 446
71.47% "Why do I have the feeling that a lot of the supporting characters are going to die soon? :S"
March 26, 2017 –