Steven's Reviews > The Boys of October: How the 1975 Boston Red Sox Embodied Baseball's Ideals - And Restored Our Spirits

The Boys of October by Doug Hornig

Mar 25, 2008

bookshelves: baseballbeenveryverygoodtome
Read in May, 2006

When I was a little kind playing baseball and wiffleball in the backyard (mid to late 1980s), my heroes were always Atlanta Braves and I always pretended to be Dale Murphy. I was pretty good at it too and I had the swing completely down and even drove the ball pretty well, with the exception of the times in which my Uncle John would come in to pitch. I would do the fake commentary pretending to be Dale Murphy and my Uncle John would then tell me that if I was Dale Murphy, he would be Luis Tiant. By that time, Luis Tiant had been out of the game forever and I had no idea who he was talking about. In fact, I mainly thought he made the guy up. Anyway, he would do the herky jerky motions and I would be so baffled by the delivery that I rarely made good contact with the ball.

Years later, with the ubiquity of sports highlight shows and their never ending need to rank the greatest (you fill in the blank) of all time, I saw highlights of this mysterious pitcher and learned about the 1975 World Series between the Red Sox and the Big Red Machine of Cincinnati. This book is the story of the 1975 Boston Red Sox (though not really about the season as much as the 1975 World Series), as told through the remembrances of a long-suffering Red Sox fan, who was actually driving a cab during that time. This book chronicles every at bat, sometimes every pitch of the 75 Series, and no Red Sox chronicle of that time would be complete with out the homage to Pudge Fisk’s homerun in Game Six. Great background on some of the true characters of the Red Sox of that season, with particularly memorable sections involving Tiant, Yaz, Carbo, and Don Zimmer, and even some neat vignettes about where they are now.

In a lot of ways, this book seems very quaint and passé now after Red Sox World Series wins in 2004 (and now 2007), but this book was no doubt an essential part of the whole tortured Red Sox fan genre that was much in vogue, especially in the early 2000s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boys of October.