Kim Bongiorno's Reviews > Mayday

Mayday by Karen Harrington

Pretty much everyone knows that they need to put the following books on their Middle Grader’s bookshelf: Wonder by R.J. Palacio, Smile by Raina Telgemeier, and Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Now you have one more.
12yo Wayne has always filled silences (pauses! breaths!) by rattling off strange facts rather than talk about the things he knows he eventually needs to. When he and his mom survive a plane crash on the way back from his uncle’s funeral, he loses his voice, but – lucky for us – we get to hear his every thought, whether or not he writes them on his trusty notepad for those around him to read. As Wayne navigates his way through the After, a space in which everything is different from his face to his friendships to who lives in his home, the author has a way of peeling the reader raw with a sentence, making everything clear and hopeful or brutally honest, so we can’t help but hear the messages we need to. I saw myself in Wayne, his mom, and other characters in this book, which made me laugh out loud and choke back tears. I read a library copy, then went online and bought a copy for my own bookshelf to ensure my kids both have a chance to read and re-read this one, whenever they need another dose of Wayne’s remarkable voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mayday.

December 30, 2016 – Started Reading