Misty's Reviews > Ardent

Ardent by Heloise West

Feb 04, 2017

bookshelves: 2017-publ, crime-mystery, italy-spain, mm, manifold-press, renaissance

** 4.75 Stars **

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

~ Florence c1490 Watercolour from an engraving by Francesco Roselli (1445 – before 1513)~

You had me at "master painter" and "Medici Florence"! I LOVE Italy and Florence is one of my favorite cities. Italian Renaissance is beautiful and intriguing. What could be more exciting?!

The very first thing that struck me is the wonderful attention to detail. All the nuances of Renaissance life are there and it adds an incredible dimension to the story! I'm a visual and an imaginative person and when I read a book, I generally SEE it. Well, let me tell you that Ms. West descriptive writing works wonders with my imagination. I found myself immediately drawn into the book!

Ardent gives us a pretty good idea of how painting workshops were organized at that time. In fact it was very much like a cooperative venture.

Reading this book was like stepping back in time when The House of Medici ruled Florence and artists like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelangelo and others were its most important figures. It will take you on an amazing journey, you will care about all these lively characters and you will root for Morello and Benedetto in particular.

All in all, the author has delivered a rich, colorful, captivating and suspenseful story during a volatile period of Italy's history where romance, all kinds of danger and mystery are perfectly balanced.

My only niggle with the novel is that I found the ending to be a bit abrupt. I wouldn't mind reading an epilogue telling us what happened to the characters months or years into the future ;) Other than this, I cannot recommend this book too highly!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ardent.

January 1, 2017 – Shelved
January 1, 2017 – Shelved as: manifold-press
January 1, 2017 – Shelved as: renaissance
February 1, 2017 – Started Reading
February 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Heloise (new)

Heloise West Thank you! :D

Misty Heloise wrote: "Thank you! :D"

I had a wonderful time reading 'Ardent' ^_^