Rodney's Reviews > Little Heaven

Little Heaven by Nick Cutter

Jan 10, 2017

bookshelves: bbc2017, books-read-in-2017

This book was very kindly sent to me by Simon & Schuster Canada for an honest review.
Little Heaven takes place in two timelines for the most part. 1965 and 1980. It mainly revolves around a religious compound in a remote part of New Mexico called Little Heaven, which is run by a man who calls himself Reverend Amos Flesher, who we quickly find out is not all he's cracked up to be. There is also a very ancient evil presence surrounding the woods of Little Heaven and it wants something from the residents and plans on taking it.
We are also introduced to three unlikely heroes, who in the end are tasked with the job of trying to stop this ancient evil. All three are guns for hire or mercenaries, one of which is trying to kill the other two at first. However they must come together to save Little Heaven.
This book is not for the faint of heart. Definitely old school horror. Some of the most frightening, monstrous creatures I've ever come across in a book, including one human character that I found quite despicable. You just keep hoping he gets what's coming to him.
Nick Cutter's writing is excellent. He kept me turning the pages and wondering what would happen next. Also the scare factor was very high. There are very gruesome, graphic scenes of violence, some of which involve children and are very disturbing to read.
Overall this was an amazing read for me. For the most part the writing was fast paced and easy to read. If you're in the mood for a good old fashioned horror romp, then Little Heaven is for you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Heaven.

January 1, 2017 – Started Reading