Shauna's Reviews > The Girl in the Gatehouse

The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen

Jul 17, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011

I didn't realize this was a Christian fiction/romance book until I opened the book and saw the scripture references. As a religious person myself, I enjoy an uplifting read, but I am generally wary of so-called Christian lit because it can be so heavy handed and preachy. Fortunately this book was neither of those things. A girl makes some bad choices in Regency England thinking she has a engagement promise from her suitor, so when her lover abandons her, she is ostracized from polite society. How she deals with her resulting circumstances and how she comes to forgive herself and find love again is the core of the book. It is a sweet, light read. My biggest issue was with the writing--Klassen does a passable job of finding an Austen-like language, except when she doesn't. It wasn't always obvious what set it off, but I would occasionally find myself bumped out of the illusory past into the modern world. It was only a momentary jolt because I could always read myself back in, but it happened often enough to make me wonder at it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Gatehouse.