Miriam Smith's Reviews > Miss Christie Regrets

Miss Christie Regrets by Guy Fraser-Sampson

Jan 19, 2017

bookshelves: kept-book, urbane

"Miss Christie Regrets" is the second book in the 'Hampstead Murders' written by Guy Fraser-Sampson and I received this book through my purchase of the year long 'Urbane Book Club'.
I had already read the first in the series "Death in Profile" and thoroughly enjoyed it so much I was looking forward to reading this with alot of anticipation.
The style and nature of the writing is very old school typically with the 'Golden Age' of detective fiction in mind and this really does work! Well, it certainly does for me! I used to love Agatha Christie books in my youth - and although I do love a grizzly gory serial killer book I do also like cosy mysteries that make you feel good once they are finished.
"Miss Christie Regrets" is so cleverly written it skilfully incorporates Dame Agatha Christie into the plot whilst still maintaining modern police thinking and procedures. I love the way the author keeps you involved all the way in solving clues and trying to eliminate suspects, to a point I was convinced I knew who the killer was - except lo and behold I was swayed onto another suspect - I was all fired up to inform the author he had got it wrong haha but at the last minute it changed again and it was as I had thought initially! Phew!!
The book has a really clever and intelligent plot and I particularly liked the love triangle with Bob, Karen and Peter, who will Karen choose, when will she choose? I would have liked to see a little more of Peter in this book as I thought his character in "Death in Profile" was so unique and interesting, but this didn't distract from enjoying the story any the less in fact I probably liked the storyline to this book even better.
I understand there's a third book out in June "A Whiff of Cyanide" which has me really intrigued as to which 'Golden Age' detective will be referred to and I highly recommend any of these books, either as standalones or the complete series.
Another warm 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Christie Regrets.

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Thumbs up review Miriam.

Miriam Smith Thank you. x

message 3: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Nice review, Miriam!
What are your favourite Agatha Christie books?

Miriam Smith I used to love the tommy and tuppence books but they are all classics really aren't they? X

message 5: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Miriam wrote: "I used to love the tommy and tuppence books but they are all classics really aren't they? X"

I couldn't agree more :) And Then There Were None is one of my favourites.

message 6: by JanB (new)

JanB Great review! I read and loved all the Christie books back in my 20s. This sounds like a wonderful series!

Miriam Smith Perfect weekend reading Jan!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister What a wonderful review, Miriam! Adding this one! I love the way you've described this as a cozy thriller :-)

message 9: by Orient (new) - added it

Orient Great review, Miriam :) Mentioning Christie you cracked my code for tbr :)

Miriam Smith Thanks Kristin and Orient :-)