Aimee's Reviews > Selene of Alexandria

Selene of Alexandria by Faith L. Justice

Jul 17, 2011

Selene is set in Alexandria in AD 412. It is the story of Selene, a young woman who wishes to break free from her father's expectations for her to marry and have children to become a physician and spend her life helping others in need. We follow her as she works to convince her father to let her study to be a physician and then see her struggle to be the only woman studying medicine at that time. She faces many dangers along the way, Alexandria was a dangerous place filled with many different people who would wish to do a woman healer harm.

This was a really well written book that I enjoyed reading. The plot was interesting and moved the book along well and the main character, Selene, was likable and given lots of time in the book to grow and mature. The part of the book that I was most impressed with was the amount of detail the author used to describe the characters and more importantly the city of Alexandria. I really felt like I was in this amazing city from the descriptions of all parts of Alexandria. It was obvious a lot of time and research went into writing this book and this made the book all that more enjoyable to read.

The book also introduces us to Hypatia, a famous philosopher in Alexandria. Hypatia's story is just as interesting as Selene's and I found myself wanting to find out more about this important woman from this time. I am so glad I read this book and got the chance to learn so much about Alexandria, Hypatia, and what a young woman faced growing up during this time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selene of Alexandria.

July 17, 2011 – Started Reading
July 17, 2011 – Shelved
July 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Just from reading your review Anne I really want to read this soon.

Aimee It was great- I think it comes out some time in August.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Looks like a good read!!!