Erika Nerdypants's Reviews > The Girls

The Girls by Lori Lansens

Jul 17, 2011

bookshelves: absolute-favourites, canadiana, read-2011, fiction
Read from July 26 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

I absolutely loved this book. This is the story of Rose and Ruby, conjoined twins who are born to a teenage mom and subsequently adopted in a small, rural Ontario town. This was a random pick at a local Value Village when I needed a fifth book to get one free. I have not read Lansens' other books, but will be on the lookout for them. Rose and Ruby are clear and concise narrators, Rose lingering in the past, filling in missing pieces of the girls lives, while practical Ruby tells us the present and includes the things Rose would rather not share. The themes focus on love, family, loyalty and sacrifice. The story is both tragic and comical, I laughed out loud several times, but even so, Ruby's last entry made me cry. Not everything is tied up in the end, I was left with wanting more of the story. I finished the book late at night, and found myself thinking about "The Girls" when I got up to use the bathroom at four in the morning. This book will stay with me for a long, long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls.

07/28/2011 page 304
83.0% "I've been so busy reading this book, that I haven't had time to write an update. All I want to say is, it's amazing. Flawless, engaging, wholly absorbing in a way few books are. ai'm already sad the story is almost over :("
07/29/2011 "Finished the book late last night, and when I woke up to go to the bathroom, I was still thinking about Rose and Ruby."

Mandy I adored this book and ruby and rose stayed with me for a long time..I will definitely be reading this book again.