Robin Morris's Reviews > Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Being a Great Parent is Less Work and More Fun Than You Think

Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids by Bryan Caplan

Jul 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from July 17 to 28, 2011

The first 1/2 of the book has some interesting ideas on parenting, basically saying parents worry to much and work at it to much. That the vast majority of how a kids turns out is genetic - Supposedly proven from twin/adoption studies. But as with most psychological “scientific” studies the evidence is very flimsy and mostly just statistical not empirical and mostly subjective. Never the less he has some valid points worth thinking about.

Based on this idea that parenting is not as hard as you think it is – you should therefore have more kids –hmm. Not much of a reason, he does not consider the opportunity costs.

His only other reason to have more kids appears to be that you of course want more grand children. Ya? Why does he assume more grandkids are what we want? I love my kids and do want grand children but from what I’ve seen in the population, grand kids can be more trouble than kids.

Over all his arguments are extremely weak and not going to convince anyone.

If you want some fresh ideas on parenting, maybe read the first half of the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids.