Norma's Reviews > Lincoln in the Bardo

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

liked it

Sister Read Review by Norma and Brenda

We both listened to the audio version of LINCOLN IN THE BARDO by GEORGE SANDERS and found it to be quite the entertaining, compelling, and unique listening experience. It's a performance with a 166-person full cast with actors, musicians, and a number of Saunders' family, friends, and members of his publishing team.

To name a few:

Nick Offerman
David Sedaris
Ben Stiller
Julianne Moore
Susan Sarandon
Megan Mullally

This story does take a little bit of work and having some background information on the story, how it is written, and how the audio version is performed will make the story less confusing.  The payoff is worth it!

Norma’s thoughts:  Normally I go into a book completely blind but under Brenda’s suggestion I did not do that this time.  Although, I still found it a little confusing and was lost at times, it did make it a little better knowing what to expect. We suggest not going into this one blind as a little bit of the books knowledge will make this a better read. This time around for our "Sister Read" Brenda enjoyed this book a little bit more than I did. My rating 3 stars, Brenda 5 stars, and an average rating of 4 stars for our "Sister Read".

LINCOLN IN THE BARDO is not your typical story it is confusing and complicated but yet it is a simple story about family, loss, duty, acceptance, understanding, and perseverance in the face of excruciating circumstances. Voices of the ghosts talk on top of each other creating a colourful mixture of the different characters perspectives while in the “Bardo”.  (Definition:  a state of existence between death and rebirth, varying in length according to a person's conduct in life and manner of, or age at, death.)

We both listened to the audiobook and followed along with the Ebook and this really enhanced the experience and also made it less confusing.

All of Brenda’s and my reviews can be found on our Sister Blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lincoln in the Bardo.

December 30, 2016 – Shelved
April 4, 2017 – Started Reading
April 5, 2017 –
April 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Wonderful review, Norma ;) xox

Norma KAS wrote: "Wonderful review, Norma ;) xox"

Thank you so much, KAS! You are so kind! :-)

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Very nice review Norma.

Diane S ☔ Awesome review, Norma.

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Enjoyed doing this review with you Norma as always!

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Great review my favourite sisters!! Sounds like this would have been very entertaining to listen to with all of those characters! Glad you both enjoyed it. (We are all going to need a real easy read after these confusing books we have read recently......haha!)

message 7: by JanB (new)

JanB This certainly sounds unique! I'm not sure it's for me but you do make it sound entertaining!

message 8: by Frances (new) - added it

Frances Great review Norma !

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Enjoyable review, Norma/Brenda!! So, fun to have a sister. ;-)

Always Pouting I think I have to read this now since you enjoyed it I know I will too ;)

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Apr 07, 2017 11:43AM) (new)

Melissa Oh wow! I don't think I'm going to read this one or listen, but the performance sounds interesting. I mean, wow . . . 166 person cast?! Sounds like it turned out to be a good thing that Brenda got you to listen though. Nice review, Norma. :)

Norma Maureen wrote: "Very nice review Norma."

Thank you so much, Maureen! Boy, I am really behind on commenting.....too much reading I guess! lol

Norma Diane S ☔ wrote: "Awesome review, Norma."

Thank you so much, Diane! :-)

Norma Brenda wrote: "Enjoyed doing this review with you Norma as always!"

Me too! :-)

Norma Lindsay wrote: "Great review my favourite sisters!! Sounds like this would have been very entertaining to listen to with all of those characters! Glad you both enjoyed it. (We are all going to need a real easy rea..."

Why thank you so much, Lindsay my favourite traveling sister reader!!! Yes, it was definitely entertaining. I think so too that I will need to read a fun, easy, gentle book soon! lol :-)

Norma JanB wrote: "This certainly sounds unique! I'm not sure it's for me but you do make it sound entertaining!"

Thank you Jan! For me it was definitely more entertaining than a great read. Very unique!!! :-)

Norma Frances wrote: "Great review Norma !"

Thank you Frances! :)

Norma Linda wrote: "Enjoyable review, Norma/Brenda!! So, fun to have a sister. ;-)"

Thank you so much, Linda! Yes, we are very fortunate to be so close and live not too far away from each other unless Brenda is with her son's and then we are not close but we chat lots! :-)

Norma Pouting wrote: "I think I have to read this now since you enjoyed it I know I will too ;)"

Brenda did enjoy it a little more than me Pouting but I did really like listening to the audio and all the characters voices that was really entertaining. I am not really sure if I actually got anything out of the book though......

Norma Melissa wrote: "Oh wow! I don't think I'm going to read this one or listen, but the performance sounds interesting. I mean, wow . . . 166 person cast?! Sounds like it turned out to be a good thing that Brenda got ..."

Thank you so much, Melissa! Yes, the performance was what really interested me the most the book....I don't know I just didn't really feel like I understood it. lol :-)

message 21: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Great review Norma (and Brenda)!! Always love the sister reads:)

Norma Awe that is so nice and we are glad that you like them! Thanks so much, Kaceey! :-)

message 23: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Nice one, Norma!

Norma Jen wrote: "Nice one, Norma!"

Thank you so much, Jen! :-)

message 25: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Norma, fab review! I'm just now seeing how many of my friends have read this and I missed the reviews. I was wondering how they would record this in audio form, what with the number of different folks talking and interjecting.. sounds like they did a great job. What a cast!

Norma Liz wrote: "Norma, fab review! I'm just now seeing how many of my friends have read this and I missed the reviews. I was wondering how they would record this in audio form, what with the number of different fo..."

Thank you so much, Liz! Yes, the audio was really entertaining and enjoyable. It was a lot of fun listening to all the different voices and recognizing them. The story was good too! lol

Cheri Wonderful review, Norma! When I was reading this, I often thought it would be nicer to have an audio to listen to while I read it. I appreciated it without the audio, but I might have enjoyed it more with both - having said that, I honestly couldn't imagine listening to it without the book, either!

message 28: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Excellent review from the sisters!

Norma Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Norma! When I was reading this, I often thought it would be nicer to have an audio to listen to while I read it. I appreciated it without the audio, but I might have enjoyed it mo..."

Thank you so much, Cheri! I wish I would have had the book while I was listening to this as at times it was extremely confusing. I think it definitely would have been a better experience for me if I did. I am glad that you enjoyed it though! :-)

Norma Holly wrote: "Excellent review from the sisters!"

Thank you so much, Holly! :-)

message 31: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana Wonderful review! I listened and read along with the hardback....but it still didn't work for me. ....as much as I wanted it to!

message 32: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Norma! Hope your next read is a great one!!!

Norma Dana wrote: "Wonderful review! I listened and read along with the hardback....but it still didn't work for me. ....as much as I wanted it to!"

Oh I am so sorry I missed your comment Dana! Thank you so much and I found it a difficult read and listen as well. I loved all the narrator voices though! :-)

Norma Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Norma! Hope your next read is a great one!!!"

Thank you so much, Deanna and I am feel bad that I missed your comment!

message 35: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Fantastic review, Norma! Sorry it wasn't better for you!

Norma Thank you so much, Nazanin and so sorry that I missed your comment!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

ron freaking swanson (offerman)... that's awesome! nice, norma.

DeAnn Great review Norma, I'll bet this would be super interesting in the audio version.

Norma [p]aulie wrote: "ron freaking swanson (offerman)... that's awesome! nice, norma."

Oh Paulie I am so sorry that I missed your comment! I don't know why I don't get all my notifications. Anyway, thank you so much! :-)

Norma DeAnn wrote: "Great review Norma, I'll bet this would be super interesting in the audio version."

Thank you so much, DeAnn! Yes, the audio was pretty entertaining! :-)