YABookBridges's Reviews > The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

Jan 12, 2017

bookshelves: 2016, abandoned, audiobooks

Harry's story is intriguing and tragic, yet despite that, I couldn't keep reading. Maybe if I had been reading it instead of listening to it I might have been able to finish it. The concept is interesting: a man is part of a special group of people who relive their lives over and over again retaining the knowledge and memories from their previous lives. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to keep my interest. Almost halfway through, I am still not sure exactly what the conflict in the story is. I thought there was something to resolve with his biological father, but no - that happens early. Then I thought it might be about how to avoid the reliving lives thing. Again, no. I kept going because I thought maybe Harry was looking for his one great love. No. Ultimately the thing that clinched my quitting it was the endless passages of existential self-introspection. Paragraphs and paragraphs of wonderings about the meaning of time and the meaning of life. Even more paragraphs of scientific hypothesizing about how time works and the scientific, moral, and historical implications of changing history. I couldn't take it. Perhaps I'll go back to it at some point, but for now it goes on my Abandoned list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

December 30, 2016 – Started Reading