Jeanette's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

Jul 17, 2011

Disfigured by the blow of an abusive husband, and suffering her entire life with severe social anxiety disorder, the widow Mary McAllister spends almost sixty years secluded in a white marble mansion overlooking the town of Mill River, Vermont. Her links to the outside world are few: the mail, the media, an elderly priest with a guilty habit of pilfering spoons, and a bedroom window with a view of the town below.

Most longtime residents of Mill River consider the marble house and its occupant peculiar, though insignificant, fixtures. An arsonist, a covetous nurse, and the endearing village idiot are among the few who have ever seen Mary. Newcomers to Mill River--a police officer and his daughter and a new fourth grade teacher--are also curious about the reclusive old woman. But only Father Michael O’Brien knows Mary and the secret she keeps--one that, once revealed, will change all of their lives forever.

The Mill River Recluse is a story of triumph over tragedy, one that reminds us of the value of friendship and the ability of love to come from the most unexpected of places.

I don't think the blurb for this book does it justice, it's so much more than what it sounds like. I loved this book, the characters, and the way it made me feel. The author did a wonderful job of pulling you and making you want to know more about the people, the town, the back stories. I couldn't hardly wait to finish it but was sad when it ended. I look forward to seeing more by this author. Oh and I have to say this was the best 99 cents I've spent on a book so far!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.

July 17, 2011 – Started Reading
July 17, 2011 – Shelved
July 17, 2011 –
31.0% "Really enjoying the book so far."
July 18, 2011 – Finished Reading

Phyllis 'Miller' Johnson Why do you think some folks are so critical of this book? I thought it was wonderful and the people were very interesting and I do not think it was all that predictable. I too, thought it was somewhat fairytail in nature, but what's wrong with that?!?! I can relate somewhat because of the depression that I overcame just how human problems develop and I think that is a big reason why I enjoyed the story. Almost everyone has suffered trauma, so I couldn't see this book as unrealistic on that score. I'm enthralled that she wrote a book and it was a sucess out of the starting gate.

Natalie I thought this book was charming and soon became enraptured with the residents of mill river and the reclusive elderly Mary in her white mansion on the hill. Her story past and present is told beautifully through out the book along side various characters who reside in mill river and whose lives have been secretly touched by Mary. These other characters have secrets of their own and I was kept enthralled within the pages waiting to expose these and get answers. Yes it is kind of a fairytale scenario but that adds to the charm. I didn't think this could be bettered but having then read the second book, the mill river redemption was proven wrong and recommended anyone having read recluse to discover redemption. An utterly charming series.