Angry Wombat's Reviews > The Treason of Isengard

The Treason of Isengard by J.R.R. Tolkien

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

And now for something completely different!

This picks up from the breaking of the fellowship, but instead of getting Sam and Frodo rowing across the river, we get the last stand (and redemption?) of Boromir and end up following the rest of the Fellowship - Merry and Pippin in the clutches of the Orcs, and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli on their wild chase across Rohan.

This is the first time we really get the PoV of someone other than a hobbit, and it is nice to see how Aragorn is torn by his duty and promises. This whole book has been foreshadowed in the last few with the talk of Sauruman and his knowledge... Tolkien really has a "technology is bad" vibe going on. Isenguard is changed from a forested and fruitful place into one of "turning wheels and clanging iron". But Sauruman is an awesome antagonist - he is the cunning manipulator, and the descriptions of his voice are amazing. (I have to admit that after hearing Christopher Lee playing his in the movie his voice is Sauruman for all time)

The Rohirrim are "vikings on horseback", just a great culture and the imagery feels spot on. The battle scenes do go on for a bit longer than comfortable (Tolkien is perhaps not the best at big battle scenes?) but the writing is very poetic and inspires lots of imagery (I love the "field of glinting wheat" for the spears of the orc army at night)

The Ents are... a bit meh to be honest. I can't picture them from their descriptions very well, and they just seem a little forced.

But this book was a fine read (especially anything concerning the Rohirrim) and we finally deal with the treasonous Sauruman who was looming over the Fellowship for two books now.

Next up - back to the pair of suffering hobbits :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treason of Isengard.

December 30, 2016 – Shelved