Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader's Reviews > Salvage the Bones

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

Unfortunately, I couldn't finish this one. The writing was beautiful and it was a story of family which I love. This was a case of I should have read the synopsis. Sometimes I skip those so I can be surprised but the dog fighting and sick puppies were too much for me. I tried skipping those parts on the audio but I ended up having to skip too often. I will definitely read other books by this author because I like her style.

Summer 2017 Read #20

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvage the Bones.

December 30, 2016 – Shelved
December 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 4, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read-owned-books
July 30, 2017 – Started Reading
August 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I skipped one of the books in the Penn Cage (Greg Isles) mystery series because it was about dog fighting. I can't stand to read anything about abused or neglected dogs, even when I know it's fiction!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

LaDonna Jennifer, your feelings are definitely relatable. Like you, there were many aspects of the book that I enjoyed. However, reading about the dog fights and what followed with them was extremely difficult. For me, it took away from the story. And, considering that the book centered around Hurricane Katrina, added to emotional toll.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Thanks, Tammy, and I agree. It just hurts too much to read it. I appreciate the heads-up about the Penn Cage mysteries because I've had those on the TBR for a while and need to make sure I skip over that one.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wyndy wrote: "I can definitely understand your decision not to finish. The dog scenes were painful enough to read - can't imagine listening to them."

Thanks, Wyndy. I agree that the audio is harder for difficult subjects like this.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader LaDonna wrote: "Jennifer, your feelings are definitely relatable. Like you, there were many aspects of the book that I enjoyed. However, reading about the dog fights and what followed with them was extremely diffi..."

Thank you, LaDonna. You said it much more eloquently than me.

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Ohh I can completely understand, Jennifer. I would have the same problem. I also would find it harder if it was audio....difficult to flip ahead.
Sometimes we have to know when something is too much for us. I'm glad you didn't force yourself to keep going.
Hope your current/next read is more enjoyable!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Thanks, Deanna! I tried to push ahead, but I found I was having to skip too often and not really knowing when to stop skipping. I've got a couple great reads going right now. :)

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan Jennifer, I Agree with not continuing to read when something just hits you so hard that it's just anguish to read any more.

message 10: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko Wow, this one sounds bad. Sorry, Jennifer! I hope you enjoy your next one. I won't be adding this... <3

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Jan wrote: "Jennifer, I Agree with not continuing to read when something just hits you so hard that it's just anguish to read any more."

Thanks, Jan. I'm glad you understand. :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Mischenko wrote: "Wow, this one sounds bad. Sorry, Jennifer! I hope you enjoy your next one. I won't be adding this... <3"

Thanks, Mischenko! I just wish I had read the synopsis because I would have known this was not a good choice for me. The other parts were very, very good, and I cared about the characters, so it was hard to stop listening. I'm going to read other books by this author and probably consistently read synopses, too! :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Completely understandable Jennifer. Thanks for your honesty. I hope your next book is wonderful! 😊

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace upfront n pointed..

message 15: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Sorry for the miss, Jennifer! Hope your next read is much better! 💜

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lindsay wrote: "Completely understandable Jennifer. Thanks for your honesty. I hope your next book is wonderful! 😊"

Thanks, Lindsay! Xo

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Diane wrote: "upfront n pointed.."

Thank you, Diane!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Nazanin wrote: "Sorry for the miss, Jennifer! Hope your next read is much better! 💜"

Thanks, Nazanin! :)

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen Hope your next one is better!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Thanks, Jen!

message 21: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce I have just started this book and I feel it is just too gritty for me.

message 22: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea I am struggling with the same parts, and skimming them some while I read. I'm ready to finish, and really close, but I totally get it.