ambsreads's Reviews > They Both Die at the End

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Buddy reading with my actual lover, the only person who listens to me rant about tall boys, and who I meet next week, Caitlin

TRIGGER WARNINGS: anxious thoughts, death, violence, suicide

Going into a book which is titled They Both Die At The End you don't really expect it to happen. That doesn't even matter because almost the whole book I've been crying. The whole concept of this book is heartbreaking. Imagine knowing you will die within the next 24 hours? You may not even get the full 24 hours. You just know you'll die by the end of the day. That's terrifying and honestly, gives me the chills.

That is what happens to our two main characters, Mateo and Rufus. The pair are complete strangers, on different paths, when they receive the call. The call informing me them that they will be dying. They meet through an app where strangers are able to meet up and have fun on their last day on Earth. Now that I think about it, that's incredibly morbid.

Despite how morbid I am now realising it is, I found myself completely in love with the idea. I couldn't stop reading. It was actually the first book I read before Caitlin did, a miracle, trust me. The friendship shared between Mateo and Rufus was beautiful. I loved their interactions and how their friendship progressed organically into what it did throughout the story. The pair say their final goodbyes to the people they love, as well as suffering repercussions of actions that happened before their D-Day phone call.

I did have my problems with the story, mainly the ending but the writing is so flawless that I can't fault too much. I found Mateo and Rufus to be complete people, maybe people I would meet. They did not seem one dimensional at all. One complaint I can say without spoiling too much is that I wished this novel was longer. I was left wanting more when I turned the last page!

Adam Silvera manages to craft a word that I would hate to live in and a world that has made me realise I need to take chances; I need to go on that random adventures with my friends, ask that cute boy I'm crushing on for his number and to truly take risks. I need to experience life fully.

an ARC was provided but all opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Both Die at the End.

December 29, 2016 – Shelved
December 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 15, 2017 –
2.0% "lmao i'm already crying fUCK
might be time to start being more daring because BOY that was powerful adam"
June 16, 2017 – Started Reading
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: buddy-read
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: science-fiction
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
June 16, 2017 –
12.0% "i'm so hooked oh my god"
50.0% "so
damn
good"
June 16, 2017 –
63.0% ""Twelve hours ago I received the phone call telling me I’m going to die today, and I’m more alive now than I was then.""
June 16, 2017 –
82.0% "oh God my heart is racing"
June 16, 2017 –
93.0% "okay this is my only problem with this book lmao"
June 16, 2017 –
95.0% "oh my god the tears are coming"
June 18, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 1, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
July 1, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 20, 2017 – Shelved as: books-i-own
August 28, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbt-characters

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Caitlin ACTUAL LOVER DETECTIVE LIGHT SKIN ROSE

Caitlin i love a good tall boy

ambsreads THANKS SIRI FOR THE DICTATION

ambsreads tall boys are good for us tall girls

Caitlin A MIRACLE TO FINISH BEFORE ME AHAHAHAAH

Bookevin I like myself some tall boys too!

ambsreads Another tall boy lover, brilliant!