K.A. Davis's Reviews > Of Books and Bagpipes

Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton

When Paige Shelton released the first book in her Scottish Bookshop Mystery series last year, I was smitten and couldn't wait for the next installment. Books and treasures, the warmth and charm of the characters, and a strong mystery to keep me guessing combine to create another home run with her newest release, OF BOOKS AND BAGPIPES!

The author has created a memorable protagonist with her character, Delaney Nichols from Kansas in America. Delaney has relocated herself to Scotland to work for elderly Edwin MacAlister, owner of the bookshop The Cracked Spine. The setting of the bookshop is magical with its books, hidden treasures, and delightful employees including the darling terrier, Hector. Delaney comes to love her boss and the others at the bookshop like family and her care and concern shine through the situations she finds herself in. Paige Shelton has also created a lovely relationship between Delaney and her landlords, Elias and Aggie, who treat the American transplant like a daughter. Cab-driving Elias becomes a ready sidekick for Delaney's exploration and investigations, providing balance to the scenes while portraying the charm of the Scottish people and their delightful language.

I loved how the author weaves bits and pieces of Scottish history into the story in such a creative way that I didn't even realize I was "learning" while turning page after page to find out what happens next. And turn the pages I did... as the intertwined murder mystery and half-century old secrets unfolded, unexpected twists and turns caught me by surprise and took me in an entirely different direction than I thought the author was going. It provides an edge-of-your-seat read that I couldn't put down until I finished the last page!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Books and Bagpipes.

Started Reading