Josephine (biblioseph)'s Reviews > A Darker Shade of Magic

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: 1st-in-a-series

So, I recently went through an anti-anything-YA phase, but discovered that by confronting my own insecurities, and not reading ones that won’t interest me, I’ll enjoy more books. This isn’t YA, but I thought it was for a long time. That said, it wasn’t as mature as I hoped or expected, but fun nonetheless. The main characters feel young somehow.

The world is so interesting, and quickly being brought along with Kell as he travels between world (As Travars) was fantastic. There was something sad and lovely about the different worlds, the differences between the monarchs… The shadows of lost potential and used up chances just really got to me.

This excuses the somewhat familiar feel of the characters in a foreign landscape. Kell felt a little like Eddie Redmayne playing Newt Scamander to me, but a bit of the rogue inside him. Lila quickly grew me, and Rhy was a little too scarce to get a read on. Holland was the most unreadable to me, but that’s purposeful— I’m still quite unclear on his motivations and goals.

Lila made a strong entrance, and her easy hand for violence before I’d gotten a good look at her rubbed me the wrong way, but I’m trying to be kinder to female characters, and she made it up anyway, by being tough on Kell when he was whining about growing up with a family who loved him. He needed that.

Anyway, maybe this is a spoiler , but I have a theory about Lila: (view spoiler)

There was also some kissing in this book, which made it feel younger than it was. Sometimes kisses can sweep you away and be powerful, but I feel like that kind of significant kissing is usually reserved for YA where it usually remains somewhat chaste in regards to sex.

Anyway, I would have read the sequel by now if my reading buddy weren’t still on page 200. Also because I want to own the second one, I already own the third, because of how good they look on my shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darker Shade of Magic.

December 29, 2016 – Shelved
December 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 15, 2017 – Started Reading
July 20, 2017 –
page 20
5.0% "I'm doing my first 'buddy-read' as the youths call it!! ♥ My friend is a slow reader though, so I'm gonna just read up to wherever she is. ♥"
August 5, 2017 –
page 48
12.0% ""Some of the guards called him Hollow behind his back, but Parrish never dared."

Ichigo Kurosaki from BLEACH the manga, as a Hollow, a spirit that has not yet passed on"
August 10, 2017 –
page 65
16.25% "My friend is leaving me in the dust! She told me she was on page 184 so I made it to page 65...

I do like this though. Even if I heard from a friend who loves the series that the final book disappointed them. Ha..."
September 1, 2017 –
page 114
28.5% "Guess I'm not finishing this in August. Hahahahahahaa...."
September 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 28, 2018 – Shelved as: 1st-in-a-series

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by William (new) - added it

William Thank you for the review!

I'm generally not interested in fantasy, being far more interested in the discipline of hard sci-fi, especially space opera with real physics and chemistry etc.

Josephine (biblioseph) Yeah, I can understand that! I've been on such a scifi kick lately, but I also love fantasy...