Heather's Reviews > The Necromancer

The Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard

Jul 16, 2011

Fun facts:

- I tried to place an order on Amazon for this book (and a few others) for my birthday a few years back. The order never shipped after a week and I canceled since it was supposed to be my gift to myself. =[ So I wound up getting the mobi version of the book.

- It'd been a rough couple of weeks for me because my grandpa died, and everything I'd read since he went into the hospital has dealt with the theme of death. I began wondering if I was just doing that unintentionally. It creeped me out, made me sad, and somehow comforted me.

But enough about that.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I started this book: I do read reviews for books, but not spoilerific ones, I typically read the one and two star reviews to know whether or not a book will be triggering / problematic for me, but I didn't do that for this one.

The book starts with Johannes summoning a demon and then going to hell to make (another) deal with the devil. From there he goes to get his older brother, Horst, to join him. I really wish Horst's back story had been expounded on a bit (or hope it does in the sequels)(view spoiler).

From there, the Cabals make circus people and then go around collecting the souls. You really wonder how it's gonna go and then you're two chapters from the end going, "WOW, that flew by!" There's a lot in between about the various exploits Johannes gets up to (view spoiler).

Johannes' character never gets annoying or overwhelming, which is something I love. When you are dealing with a character as determined and big as Johannes, the character can sometimes come off as a bit... much. He's an asshole and he knows it, but if you're not careful with that, he comes off as more of a jerkass than an anti-hero, someone who is jaded, or someone who is incredibly determined. Johannes has difficulty in all the right places, he's never 100% perfect (in more ways than one) in what he does, and most importantly, he WORKS has the hero. Howard really shines in his writing of Johannes.

As fun and outrageous as the book is, it does have a few dark moments. (view spoiler)

My one complaint about the novel is that it seemed like a lot of the times characters figuring out Johannes was a necromancer seemed pushed into that conclusion for the plot's sake. (view spoiler)

But that obviously did not deter me from enjoying this book and wanting to recommend it to everyone.

Also, I just remembered, the book has a chapter in the style of Molesworth! I didn't think I could love this book anymore and then I got to that point and was just crying at all the beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necromancer.

July 16, 2011 – Shelved