Liralen's Reviews > You in Five Acts

You in Five Acts by Una LaMarche

liked it
bookshelves: dance-gymnastics, fiction, ya, z-2017, reviewed

Warning: some untagged spoilers ahead.

Huh. So the 'you' of You in Five Acts rotates with each POV: each of the five POV characters has a you, one of the other characters for whom they have romantic or tumultuous or complicated feelings.

The story is structured like a play, but with a countdown to the end of the semester: senior showcase, which has the capacity to make or break dreams. It's less pressing for the actors of the group (Liv, Ethan, and Dave), perhaps, than for the dancers (Joy and Diego), as senior showcase can lead to job offers with ballet companies.

There's a love story and a love triangle and a lot of foreshadowing about a death at the end of the book. I wish the 'who' had been a little more of a surprise, but more than that I'm not sure about the death coming where it does (pretty much at the very end). Because...I can't help but think that that's when things really start to get messy, when so many of these lives are changed irrevocably. Oh, it's the big moment for sure, but...oh gosh. There's so much summed up in that last little bit. And I think: what kind of school is it, that they'll allow one student to fail to graduate because another decides at the last minute to substitute a monologue for a play? And how must Liv feel, knowing that her addiction led to the death of a friend trying to help her? Joy presents such a strong face at the end, but again: so much pain behind her.

Some good elements here, but I'm not sure how far beyond the norm it really goes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You in Five Acts.

Finished Reading