Arlene's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

bookshelves: favorites, arc, read-2011, ya-dystopic, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Book Tour - ARC Flannery
Recommended for: YA Dystopic Fans; Hunger Games Fans

Are you kidding me!?!? What just happened?!?

This book is ABSOLUTELY UNPUTDOWNABLE!! Yes, I realize that’s not a word, but I have to admit I’m a bit sleep deprived seeing as I stayed up all night reading this FRICKEN AMAZING book!! Okay let me just tell you now, this review is going to be an absolute, incoherent gush-fest. I haven’t felt this pumped about a YA dystopic novel since the The Hunger Games came to town. Mind you, I’ve read some pretty awesome stories since, such as Divergent, Blood Red Road, and Burn Bright. But when I’m taking this book with me to run errands so I can read in between red lights, I know something fantastical is going on, and there’s no way in HALE I’m stopping! GIVE.ME.MORE.NOW.P.L.E.A.S.E!

Marie Lu has created a book where the voices are powerful, the narrative is commanding, and the plot is explosive… all the way to the absolute end. Legend has shot up to my top spot in highly addictive series. This book was nothing short of riveting making it worthy of applause, standing ovations and literary accolades. I’m giving it everything I’ve got! I anticipate this novel getting some well deserved buzz, and I can’t wait to see how it all plays out. E.X.C.I.T.E.M.E.N.T.!

~okay breathe~
With Lu’s debut novel, she’s created this moment in time, over 100 years into the future, where the United States has split between the Colonies and the Republic and natural disasters have drastically changed the landscape of California and its surrounding states. Plagues are diminishing the population; and two sides of what was once one country are fighting each other using biological warfare, lies and anything and everything in their arsenal for land and power.

This story is told in alternating POVs between Day (Daniel Altan Wing) who is a criminal on the run from the Republic authorities, and June Iparis a recent graduate of the Republic academy who is placed on a mission to hunt down Day. When these two characters collide, secrets and conspiracies force them to take a closer look around them to find their true enemy and an all out manhunt explodes.

Being from Southern California, it was interesting to experience the setting of the book from an insider’s perspective. I’m very much familiar with Los Angeles and our beloved Public Library. So, to read how the state has changed was pretty captivating. The characters in this book, including Day, June, Tess and Kaede are definitely qualified to pull this series through to the end and I’m curious how the relationships between these four will play out.

Lastly, I’ll admit now, that the downfall to reading advanced reader copies well before the release date is that we have to wait even longer for the next installment, but with incredible books such as Legend… it’s worth the wait. Congrats to Marie Lu for exploding the YA writing scene with a story that’s finally, FINALLY going to give The Hunger Games fans what they’ve been craving. Something amazing!

Huge thanks to Flannery from thereadventurer for letting me read her ARC. ~tackle hug~ Thank you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

July 16, 2011 – Started Reading
July 16, 2011 – Shelved
July 18, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
July 18, 2011 – Shelved as: arc
July 18, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011
July 18, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-dystopic
July 18, 2011 – Finished Reading
March 4, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)

message 1: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I've read a lot of good reviews on this, i hope you'll like it.
I'll have to wait until november *sigh*

Arlene A few of my Booker friends have read it and also said it was amazing, so I'm excited. :) I hope you get to read it soon!

~Tina~ Have fun Arlene! Looking forward to your thoughts on this one!

Arlene Thanks Tina. I finished it last night. Wrapping my thoughts together for my review. Actually, I'm quite sleep deprived. I've been staying up for over a week plowing through ARCs. I'm useless right now, so I might take a moment for my review seeing as I feel incoherent... can you tell? :P

Kathryn OMG I'm so excited about this book now ! your enthusiasm has won me over completely !!!

Arlene LOL Thank you Kathryn!! You are not going to regret it. It was pretty awesome!! Hope you love it too. :)

message 7: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Fantastic review! This sounds AMAZING!

message 8: by Alexa (last edited Jul 18, 2011 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa Awesome review, Arlene! I'm excited you loved it! :D I also haven't felt this excited about a dystopia series since finishing the HG series. Can't wait for more! :)

Crystal Amazing review!! I agree this book is just beyond fantastic and yes the wait for the next one is going to be excruciating!

Amanda Wow that review was awesome! I'm gonna have to check this book out now lol!

message 11: by Lucy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucy Wow this sounds freaking amazing! Love that it's set in Los Angeles. And when you namecheck Divergent, Hunger Games & Blood Red Road I know I will love it.
Guess I should move this up the TBR stack, huh?
Your enthusiasm is infectious - awesome review!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko You certainly can not tell you were sleep deprived when you wrote this review. Phenomenal review Arlene you should write all of your reviews on little sleep :). I read I could see your excitement coming off the monitor and grabbing me saying "MUST READ". I have been on the fence about reading this book however I will certainly be adding it to my pile now.

Arlene @ Sandy. Thank you! Yes, AMAZING is the right word. :)

@ Alexa. I know, right!!?? It was so exciting and I've missed that since finishing HG. I can't wait for the next book and the worst thing about that is there's no information to give me something to look forward to! No name, dates, nothing! I need some information on book 2! LOL

@ Crystal. Thankies!!! Painful wait!! I want it NOW!! :D

@ Amanda. Thanks so much! Yes, this book needs to be check out. Right away. XD Hope you enjoy!!

@ Lucy. ~giggles~ I was excited when I wrote this one. :P and a bit sleep deprived. I loved it to pieces!!! Yes, move it up your TBR!!! You need too! :D

@ JjJANNA.. I am so giddy from lack of sleep, but it was worth it!! LOLOL You have to read it. You really do!! If you like the HG you'll like this one. :D

message 14: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I can't believe that they are making plans about the movie and the book is not out yet.. it must be that good, and your review confirms it :)

Arlene Ari, I am definitely going to see this if it goes to film. I wish there was some info on the other books!! LOL Thank you!

message 16: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic AMAZING review Arlene! You made me want Legend even more!

Arlene Thank you Nic! I can't wait to hear what you think of it, :)

Nomes what a wild review, haha.

i am insanely excited for this book now (cannot wait)

Aleeeeeza OMG ARLENE THIS IS SO UNFAIR. you make the book sound absolutely frickin' AMAZING and it doesn't release until november! *pouts*

Arlene @ Nomes. LOL you know how I get when a book rocks my socks. :D I hope you enjoy it too.

@ Aleeza. Sorry!! Yes you need to get your hands on this book as soon as you can. I joined a ton of give aways and I still needed to be hooked up by one of my Bookers. Hope you get to read it soon. :)

Flannery Oh man, I had such a grin on while I read your review. I'm so happy you loved it! Day sounds like quite the bada$$, eh? I couldn't believe (view spoiler)

Talk about a cliffie, though! I can't wait to see what happens!

Shalice How have you already read this book? It says its not out until Nov. 2011

Arlene @ Flannery. Thank you! And thanks so much for lending me your ARC. This is one of the best I've read so far this year. (view spoiler) Yeah, after that cliffy, I can't wait for the next installment. There's no info on it though.

@ Shalice. I was able to read an Advanced Reader's Copy courtesy of one of my Bookers. :)

message 24: by Britany (new) - added it

Britany OK I love that word..... unputdownable because I love books like that!!!! I love it when I'm thinking about a book throughout the day becasue I can't wait to get back to it!

Jessica I truly enjoyed reading your review...cant wait to read the book!

Arlene @ Britany. LOL! Thank you. I like making up words, but I beleive I saw that somewhere else. Yes, books that make me want to stay home and forget everything else are the best. I love finding those. :)

@ Jessica. Thanks so much! I hope you get to read it soon. :) I hear they are making a movie of this one. I'm looking forward to it. :)

message 27: by Iva (new) - added it

Iva I'm totally stealing the word "UNPUTDOWNABLE" from you. You can't stop me :D

Arlene LOL Iva! Go for it. :D I love that word. :)

Caitlin great review Arlene i was really pondering over wether or not i should read this book, but now i am becuase your review was just amazing.

Arlene Thank you so much Caitlin! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Caitlin thanks:) do u have any other recomendations? for when i finish this book?

Arlene If you're looking for Dystopic YA, I'd suggest The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Shatter Me. If you like SciFi YA, I really enjoyed I am Number Four. And lastly, for YA Fantasy some of my favorites areDaughter of Smoke and Bone, Finnikin of the Rock, and Angel Arias.

I hope that helps. I can't see your profile to gauge what you've enjoyed in the past, but hopefully you'll find something from the batch above that you might enjoy.

Happy reading Caitlin. :)

Caitlin thank you these really do help. i really enjoyed reading hunger games and shatter me which i just finished and i am hoping to find my next good book. thank you for your help

Arlene You're welcome Caitlin. Hope you enjoy! :)

message 35: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea Arlene, it help me to make the right decision of reading this book before choosing another one. I am lookingforward to finish it. Thanks, you gave a great review.

♥Rachel♥ Too funny Arlene, I stayed up late to finish this one too. And I have been known to take books with me on errands so I can read at red lights, check out lines, in drive-thru lines, etc, too! Heehee!

Arlene Bea wrote: "Arlene, it help me to make the right decision of reading this book before choosing another one. I am lookingforward to finish it. Thanks, you gave a great review."

You're welcome Bea! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

Arlene ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Too funny Arlene, I stayed up late to finish this one too. And I have been known to take books with me on errands so I can read at red lights, check out lines, in drive-thru lines, etc, too! Heehee!"

LOL. Yes, books that go on errands with you are a sure hit! :)

Rebekah Ditto! I just finished it and it's 6:15AM!!! Oops! :)

Arlene Rebekah wrote: "Ditto! I just finished it and it's 6:15AM!!! Oops! :)"

So glad you loved it Rebekah! Now get some sleep! :D

Sarah I've been reading a bunch of reviews on legend after I finished it probably only like an hour ago. When I read your review I was just thinking "yes, yes, I totally agree," throughout it. Basically I found something that was like having my thoughts written down and read to me. This is just exactly my opinion on legend and I'm definitely looking forward to Prodigy, have you read it? If so what'd you think of the sequel?

Danica  St. Clair Cool review! It was like you put my feelings into words <3

message 43: by Edie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Edie UNPUTDOWNABLE is is a good word for this book as well as the hunger games, divergent and others like them! I think this book is good and I will probably read the sequel but I probably will not re-read it. I just finished it this morning and I started reading yesterday at this time so it is a pretty quick read but I didn't really put it down except to sleep. I'm writing on a tablet that I am not used to so ignore typos if there are any

Arlene @ Sarah. Thank you for the kind reaction to my review. :) I read the entire series and LOVED it!! I hope you enjoy it as well.

@ Danica. Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed the book as well. XD

@ Edith. So glad you enjoyed this book. Hope you get to finish the series. It's totally worth it.

message 45: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle I BEEN WANTING TO READ THIS BOOK, BUT I CAN'T FIND IT

Arlene Kyle wrote: "I BEEN WANTING TO READ THIS BOOK, BUT I CAN'T FIND IT"

Hope you get to read it soon. It's really good. :)

Catherine Mae Rafols Lol I agree with the unputdownable :)

Arlene Catherine Mae wrote: "Lol I agree with the unputdownable :)"

Glad you loved it Catherine. :)

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Davis Your review has won me over! I am going to have to read it now. I love your enthusiasm!

Jessicafardig I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!