Sacha Black's Reviews > The One Memory of Flora Banks

The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr

Jan 03, 2017

There are some books you stay up until 2 AM (on a work night) to read. This was one of those books. It was one of the weirdest books I've read in quite some time, with a unique protagonists and a fantastic plot.

Not your usual YA read for me, as I tend to focus on fantasy, but I do like high school and life-themed Young Adult books too, and this was truly one-of-a-kind. I think this is one of those books, that you wouldn't have to be a genre reader to enjoy. This is one of those books that anyone from any genre would love because it is just that well-written.

Plot

The plot was fantastic, a new concept, to me anyway. Flora has retrograde amnesia, her parents have lied to her her whole life and when they're called away suddenly everything starts to untangle.

The central concept is of a girl living her life with retrograde amnesia when she can only remember things for a couple of hours. It was amazing and made me grapple with the question of how someone would live like that. The story depicts her life in an extremely plausible way. The author comes up with believable and authentic coping methods and tactics Flora uses to prod her memory. All in all, it was a beautiful portrayal of how someone with that type of amnesia might live.

Characters

The characters are fantastically unique. Each one gave me something to either love or hate about them. I particularly liked the mother of Flora and all her complexities. It was almost a shame I didn't get to see more of her. The main love interest (without giving too much away) was a dick! Flora was brilliant, despite her disability, she was fantastically strong, capable, and independent. I did feel that in her mind she thought she was incapable at the end, which was a strange kind of character arc. But thankfully on the very last page she came back to herself. But I would have liked to have seen a bit more of that, or at least seen a bit more of the story. But that's a good thing; the author left me wanting more... SO, SO MUCH MORE.

Language

The language was at first, quite difficult to get to grips with. This is not because it was poorly written, quite the contrary, Barr has a beautiful stylistic prose and one that I devoured rapidly. But the language was difficult because of Flora's amnesia. This meant that Barr used a lot of repetition to create Flora's unique character. After a while, you sink into the flow of Flora's mind and the repetition is both a comfort and part of her unique character and in fact helps add depth to Flora's character.

The Ending

I liked the ending. I like where it went; I like what happened to the characters, and I liked the style in which she ended it. But because I liked it, I would have liked a little more from the final couple of chapters. Conveyed through letters, much of the ending and the big reveal is given away in those letters which are told from another character's perspective. I understand why Barr did this, but for me, I would have liked to have seen a little more of the reveal and what happened to Flora from Flora's point of view. That's not a criticism, more of a 'the author smashed it; I wish it hadn't ended' type comment!

The very last page had the perfect amount of showing you what happened and leaving a little to the reader's imagination. A fantastic read, four stars from me and a book that I will recommend to anyone from any genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One Memory of Flora Banks.

December 28, 2016 – Started Reading