Angel Strong's Reviews > Broken Pieces

Broken Pieces by Martha Perez

Broken Pieces tells the heartwrenching story of Abby, a young girl who suffers from both emotional and physical abuse at the hands of her achoholic father and spiteful grandparents. Coming from an abusive home myself, this story really hit home for me. Throughout the emotional narrative, you can feel Abby's deep pain as she struggles to move forward in life and love. This story gives an in-depth look at abuse and its lifelong effects. In short... this was a very dark and moving tale, that I would recommend to anyone who has suffered through abuse and unhappiness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Pieces.

December 28, 2016 – Shelved
December 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 22, 2017 – Started Reading
January 28, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Sandra Jeffs I found this book so poorly written that I can't understand how you could rate this so high. I struggled to understand the plot due to the poor writing.

message 2: by Angel (last edited Jul 10, 2017 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angel Strong I based my review solely on the plot/story line. This was a story that seriously resonated with me, so I was able to get pass the grammatical issues. However the lack of editing did not go unnoticed. Thanks for weighing in Sandra. :)

Sandra Jeffs As an abuse survivor it resonated with me, too. I work with and for healing for abuse survivors. Nonetheless, a 5 star rating indicates that the book is well-written besides having an incredible story line. Obviously, the story line is foundational and without a powerful story, even if you write well, you end up with a mediocre book at best. The reverse is also true - even with a powerful story, one has to tell the story well, which Perez did not do, in my opinion.

I bought her book based on the high reviews and was VERY disappointed. I feel like I wasted my time and money trying to understand what was happening due to her poor grammar, plotting, and characterization. In the first 3 pages I thought there were three sisters because she would switch from 1st person to 3rd person -- and sometimes in the same sentence!

People who self-publish a poorly written book, regardless of how great the story might be, are ruining it for other writers who want to self publish. This is the 7th self-published book out of 10 that I have bought that was badly written. I seriously am considering never buying a book that is self-published. If reviews were honest, it would be easier for me to choose a good book.

You did the author (nor the reader) no favor by not critiquing the book wholly because she has gone on to write two more books, which II will not buy because I doubt she has grown as a writer.

Please review books carefully, so readers have an honest way to evaluate the purchase of a book. Thanks for listening. I realize this is strongly stated as I feel frustrated and disappointed with the number of poorly written books currently on the market.

Angel Strong Thanks again for your input, however I am curious as to why you did not express your point of view with the other authors that gave five star ratings. Hmm. But again the lack of editing did not go unnoticed and this has already been expressed to this author whom in which has expressed her plans to have the book revised. But thanks again and I do hope that you continue to support indie authors. I have read many amazing stories by indies.

Sandra Jeffs I ran out of time. I will.