Richard Stephenson's Reviews > Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

Jul 15, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011

Let me see if I have this right... pickled garlic, cottage cheese, Pete's Smoked Salmon, 6 bottles of champagne, 3 pairs of socks, hoola hoops, scuba diver in the sink, dry ice, send Sophia an email... I think I messed it up, but there's some simple proof that memory techniques *can* be useful.

Unfortunately, this book isn't about teaching memory techniques. It's about Josh's journey to winning the biggest little award in the US... which is NOT why I read this book.

Sure, the overall story was interesting, there were some useful tips, and some real truths came out of the work. However, this book is not, I repeat, about *teaching* the "Art and Science of Remembering Everything". I will admit I went into the book expecting much in the way of being taught some useful skills so my rating reflects this entry bias.

Read it for a decently entertaining tale of participative journalism. Read something else for working on your memory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonwalking with Einstein.

Quotes Richard Liked

Joshua Foer
“Memory is like a spiderweb that catches new information. The more it catches, the bigger it grows. And the bigger it grows, the more it catches.”
Joshua Foer, Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

03/17/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy It sounds like this book fits my theory that many newer non-fiction fall into: 50 pages of the advertised or implied topic sandwiched between extraneous material. You think? :-)

Richard Stephenson I think I'd like to adopt your theory, if that's okay. :) I don't mind people advertising their other works, but that used to be limited to a back page or two. *sigh*

Brennan ...Paul Newman's face, an elk, a producer's bull horn, climbing rope, harness, and a barometer.

Brennan I'd like to think of it as "autodidactic" material.

Stuffbykari This sums up the review I would have written.

Aske Bisgaard You forgot the skin-colored catsuit, paul newman's books and the moose sausages - or whatever those things were in the English version - since I read a translated version.

Diane It was 6 bottles of WHITE wine. I remembered some of the list.

Keith Wallace Yea, the intent of the book is much broader than teaching memory techniques. It's about giving us a proper introduction and level of exposure to the world of memory, and getting us to understand how important it really is. We should stop to memorize 'something' because that's what makes us human, and not passerbys. He willfully admits that the memory techniques have little use in everyday life, so why would be yeah then here. If, after reading this, you want to start improving then he mentions plenty of manuals to go to -- should probably start with Ad Herennium.