annapi's Reviews > Their Eyes Were Watching God

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

bookshelves: fiction, african-american

I'm glad I finally got around to reading this, as it has been on my TBR since I met the author's granddaughter, who was my children's teacher in an acting class. It's the story of Janie Crawford's life as she herself tells it, from her childhood to her first marriage arranged by her grandmother, to her second when she ran away from the first, and finally her third marriage to the love of her life.

It's told in the language of the Southern black vernacular, which made it a bit difficult for me to follow, but puts you right where the characters are. I think it would be a good book to listen to. The beginning was a bit slow, but it starts to gather traction in her second marriage, and finally the novel comes to full bloom when she meets her third husband Tea Cake. It's a simple story full of emotion and heavy with meaning, and it's easy to see why it's one of the premiere novels of feminist literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Eyes Were Watching God.

December 26, 2016 – Started Reading
December 28, 2016 – Shelved
December 28, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction
December 28, 2016 – Shelved as: african-american
December 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

LibraryCin I'm impressed you rated it as highly as you did. I'm reading it now and wishing I had the audio. Not liking it much.