VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Blood Work

Blood Work by Kim Harrison

Jul 15, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: vampires, urban-fantasy, witches

I love the Hollows, but this is sub par for any medium. I am not digging this art in the least. I know a lot of people try to make the excuse that an artist can't capture what you imagine in your mind, but I beg to differ because there are a couple of series with decent graphic novel adaptations. Mercy Thompson's is one of them and even Anita Blake's is better than this, though I'm not a fan of that style and no longer read the series. I was at least going to give the cover some credit, but that was before I received the actual book and saw that it was simply a photograph, not a cool drawing/painting.

I've also seen a few amazing fanart pieces for the Hollows that not only capture how I imagine the characters, but make them look even better (see Valliant Creations on Deviant Art and you'll see what I mean). Those artist are capable of drawing comic book style too, so one would hope that a hired professional could at least get it in the ballpark. Ivy's asian features are stronger than we were initially led to believe, and she's not as beautiful and elegant as we're led to believe. Rachel's okay, but not that sexy either. I knew Kisten wasn't going to be great but then they HAD to add Trent *shakes head*. I am hoping we don't see Jenks at all at this point since a sequel is in the works. It's definitely disappointing for me, especially coming off of the high from the Pale Demon installment which is now my favorite book to this date. While not my favorite character, I do rather like Ivy so I was hoping for an interesting read. I will admit that a few scenes are quite funny and it was cool seeing things from her POV, but that's really the only plus I can give it. Fans of Ivy/Rachel may like knowing how Ivy started falling for Rachel. While I am not a fan of the pair at all these days, in the earlier books I was intrigued by the idea. I can say that this book hasn't done anything to remotely sway my preference back to that end if that was Harrison's goal.

I do appreciate the attempt at trying a prequel instead of making a graphic novel based off of existing publications, but with Harrison's inexperience in this realm, it may have been better had she gone that route and just started with Dead Witch Walking. This just didn't give me that Hollows feel most of the time, and it's probably because every thing's confined to speech bubbles which limit the depth that we're accustomed to. I just wasn't emotionally attached. I am just not sure how many non-Hollows followers perusing the graphic novel aisle will pick this out and think it's worth $23, or even $14, but that's just me. I wanted to like this, but I just can't recommend this with good conscience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Work.

July 15, 2011 – Started Reading
July 15, 2011 – Shelved
July 15, 2011 – Shelved as: vampires
July 15, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
July 15, 2011 –
page 144
July 15, 2011 –
page 144
85.21% ":-( This is a first for The Hollows"
July 15, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 2, 2011 – Shelved as: witches

message 1: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) How disappointing!

VampireNovelFan Cat Russell wrote: "How disappointing!"

Well, maybe you could read it at the bookstore or library, but to spend that much money on it... If I wasn't getting her to sign it at Comic Con I'd return it to the bookstore.

message 3: by Cat Russell (last edited Jul 15, 2011 10:41PM) (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) I'm glad that so many authors I love are venturing into the comic book world, but some of the choices they make for illustrators aren't always so great.
The latest one that I've noticed is Charlaine Harris' Grave Sight. The cover is horrendous!

VampireNovelFan Yeah, but my problem is that the venture isn't an automatic home run. I'm seriously considering returning this so I can get my money back. At first I wanted her to sign it, but now I think I'm just going to bring Pale Demon and leave it at that. There's no real plus I'd want to discuss with her and I'm just not one to bullshit and lie.

message 5: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Yea, I understand that. I wouldn't want to hand her that book with a smile on my face if I hated it.

Have you got everything ready for Comic-Con?

message 6: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jul 18, 2011 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

VampireNovelFan Seriously, there are some good interpretations out there:

As for Comic Con, I'm just about there! Just gotta paint a couple of things on our boots and then I should be set. Then it's just a matter of a rigorous checklist and packing everything.

message 7: by Shay (new)

Shay I agree, the comic book was a serious flop.

VampireNovelFan Well we'll have to see the first week figures I imagine, but it's definitely not like a regular Hollows novel release, and especially not Pale Demon.

message 9: by Kritchie (last edited Jul 21, 2011 09:13AM) (new)

Kritchie As Always "You Nailed It" perfect! I too have quit the Anita Blake series and I find the Deviant artwork for Hollows does capture the characters so well that I thought it strange, they were just as I imagined. I didn't buy or even pickup the graphic piece for Hollows because it just didn't look like my type. thanks for your great analysis Vampire Novel Fan!

Elaine Carass is it that bad? should receive my copy next week

VampireNovelFan Elaine wrote: "is it that bad? should receive my copy next week"

Maybe not for the average Joe but I am super picky when it comes to art and comic style and story. I have been reading manga and comics for years.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina I saw some previews of the art in her blog a couple of months ago and I wasn't impressed either.

I do have hopes for the world book though. It looks like fun. :D

message 13: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) @ VampireNovelFan - How many things did you get Harrison to sign? Did you get a Hollows Insider poster? I had heard they were giving them away at Comic-Con.

@ Christina - I saw some samples of the Insider on her site, and I agree it does look like fun.

message 14: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jul 25, 2011 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

VampireNovelFan @Christina: I agree that the world book looks more promising.

@Cat: I got her to sign Pale Demon and I did get a Hollow Insider poster. She's got a pic of us on her site. We're the blue girls, though that was Friday (we were having costume malfunctions so decided to just wear our makeup with regular clothes lol). Here's a glimpse at our full on costumes for Saturday after working out a few kinks:

But the REAL highlight was getting to take a pick with Manu Bennett (aka SEXY Crixus) from Spartacus who we've been fangirling over for the longest. Like, here is the sequence of events:
1) We're in the exhibitor hall and I see the cast come out of the Spartacus balcony
2) I immediately yell for his attention. They all turn to see us:
3) He points at us and then this assistant dude on the floor ushers us over to him. This is him leaving to get a pic with us:
4) And then PICCY! He took the pic himself with MY camera!!! ***total fangirl squee***

That seriously made our con. We'd been wanting to meet him SO badly. He was like #1 on our list and the main reason I chose to go to the Spartacus panel over Kim's! And the night before at the Spartacus panel I'd taken a bunch of photos wishing we could meet him, haha.

message 15: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) THAT IS AWESOME!!! I'm so jealous of you! I spent all of my free time at home watching G4's Comic-Con coverage.

You two looked amazing. Very kick-ass costumes. They turned out great.

I'd love to see more pics if you've got 'em.

message 16: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jul 25, 2011 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

VampireNovelFan Thanks! It wasn't perfect but once we hit the 5 hour mark for getting into it we were like "screw it" we're going! G4 pulled us over (we made the news so you can see it in the background there) but the director dude was having us wait for too long and seemed to only want mainstream people, like batman peeps and whatnot. We didn't make those costumes just to stand in one spot and be a part of the cheering squad, so we left. And seriously right after this we ended up going over to the Sparty booth where everything went down with Manu.

We will be uploading more pics in a bit. My friend wants to touch them up a bit first, but they're a-comin. In the meantime you should check out my gallery on facebook. Are we friends?

message 17: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) No, we're not. I don't use my facebook account very often. How would I find your page?

VampireNovelFan Cat Russell wrote: "No, we're not. I don't use my facebook account very often. How would I find your page?"

Umm can you see these?

message 19: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Those pics were great! Haven't checked out the videos yet.

What were they doing where that Avengers sign was?

VampireNovelFan Cat Russell wrote: "Those pics were great! Haven't checked out the videos yet.

What were they doing where that Avengers sign was?"

Oh DEFINITELY check out the videos, especially the fishies!

I dunno what was going on at the Avengers sign. Just more hott dudes. Are you Misty Boyd by chance?

message 21: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) You've revealed my secret identity!!

Yea, Cat Russell is just part of my obsession with Bones ;)

VampireNovelFan Hehe okay. I read one of the spin offs and that one wasn't really my cup of tea, but I plan to give the actually series a try sometime later.

message 23: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Oh no! Not a good place to start. Those other characters just can't compare to Cat and Bones.

I restrained myself when going through your pics, by the way. There were about 20 more times that I wanted to click the "like" button LOL

Do you think you might try and go again next year?

VampireNovelFan Yeah that's what so many say, hehe. So far I'm still loving my Mac and Barrons the most, but I will give it a try again.

And please feel free to "like" away LOL. And yes, I am so totally going next year if I can. We're already brainstorming costumes. Doing collabs works very well in our favor.

message 25: by MISS VAIN (new)

MISS VAIN I'm Noseying my way into this convo with you and Cat. You're pics are awesome!!!! You and your friend looked fantastic and managed to still look pretty while wearing blue paint. :)
I plan to go to comic-con next year, I'm so jealous ;)

VampireNovelFan LOL Thanks! The goal was to not look a hot mess so I'm glad you like it. The paint was surprisingly comfortable so we're looking into it for our next costumes too. And you TOTALLY should try for it next year! It's some of the most fun I've ever had in my life! And we could meet up too!

message 27: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) We could stalk authors and hot actors together! ;)

Miss Vain - Would you go in costume?

message 28: by MISS VAIN (new)

MISS VAIN VNF-That would be awesome! In a perfect world all of my GR friends would get dressed up and we would all meet up and go to comic-con together. I would absolutly love to do that, especially with people that love to dress up as much as i do! :)

Yes stalking the authors and flirting with the hot actors sounds wonderful! LOL

Cat-I would most Definitly go in costume;)
To me going without costume would seem to me like going out on Halloween and wearing regular clothes boring :) Haven't I seen pic of you in costume?

message 29: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) "Haven't I seen pic of you in costume?"

Yea probably when you fantasize about me, but outside of that I haven't been in a costume. What were you imagining me in, like a cheap french maid or a slutty goldilocks?

I didn't want to dress up when I went to Comic-Con last year and then as soon as we got to the Convention Center, I said, "I should've dressed up!". hehe. It just works out that way sometimes I guess.

But I wouldn't want to be anything cute or sexy, I would rather be something scary or disgusting.

message 30: by MISS VAIN (new)

MISS VAIN Cat-Nevermind. Now that I went back and reviewed your pics I notice that the uni-brow and mustache was natural and not your attempt at looking like Elena the shifter of Claytons affections;) I thought that was a costume sorry;)

Where was the comic-con that you went to? The closest one to me I think is S.D.
See I want to be something sexy but scary if that makes sense. Speaking of disgusting Cat; thanks to the photo you put up on your review yesterday I will no longer be able to EVER eat snickers again. I was eating one when I saw it and instantly felt like it wanted to come up...,gross