Jessica's Reviews > Without Merit

Without Merit by Colleen Hoover

I honestly never have any idea where to start when it comes to reviewing a new Colleen Hoover book. When I heard that her newest release was going back to her YA roots, I was skeptical. I have really outgrown YA and wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not. All I can say is shame on me for ever doubting Colleen Hoover.

Whenever I go into a new CoHo book, I love going in blind, so I'm not going to tell you a whole lot about the synopsis. All I can say it's about a girl and her family. Really, that's all you need to know to truly appreciate this book. Once again, Colleen has delivered a book that has really made me take a hard look at life and how I view the world. Just as like with It Ends With Us, I left this book with a whole new point of view on people and what others go through that I may not understand. This book deals with some pretty serious topics, but in the endearing and quirky CoHo way.

I've got to say, when I started this book and first met our main character, I was not feeling the story. But, when I got more into the story and got to learn more about the main character, who she was, and who her family was, I fell head over heels for this book. The beginning made so much more sense and the family dynamics in this book were interesting to say the least. While there was a romance, it was not the center of the story, which I actually appreciated. There was so much more going on in Merit's life that the romance was only just a part of it.

Without Merit is one of the most unique, endearing books I have ever read. I have never encountered a character like Merit or a family like hers in a book and I don't think I ever will again. While Colleen addresses some serious topics in her books, she does it in away that is so spot-on and aware that it will change how you view the world. Even if you're not a YA reader, this is so much more than just a book about a teenager and EVERYONE has to pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Without Merit.

December 27, 2016 – Shelved