kai jiang's Reviews > The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

I was a bit worried going in, after all the hype surround The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue has been rather massive, but as usual I find that I've worried in vain. This book is definitely one of the best I've read so far this year (perhaps even the best, though I'm not quite ready to give away that title just yet).

Gentleman's Guide has a fantastic cast, I absolutely adored all three of the titular characters! Monty was just the right blend of cock-sureness and sweetness, Percy was just all around adorable, and Felicity, oh I think she's got to be my favorite character with her kickassery and brains (argh give me The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy NOW!!! *vibrates with excitement).

This book is definitely set historically, but there's also a ton of fantastical elements, so uh historical fantasy??? It's a bit of an odd combo and er "historical fantasy" is also kind of a paradox by itself, but Mackenzi Lee blends fact and fiction masterfully, and beside, you'll be much too wrapped up in the trio's crazy escapades to have a proper crisis.

Also let me just say how freaking amazing it is to finally see a POC show up in a European (kinda) historical. Like gosh, I didn't even realize how much I needed this till now.... (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue.

December 27, 2016 – Shelved