Kasia Burlakoff's Reviews > Darcy's Hope: Beauty from Ashes: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation

Darcy's Hope by Ginger Monette

I finished reading this book last night, and I couldn't put it down. It's a fascinating story, and so powerfully written l. For a full experience, I recommend watching a trailer and looking through Lizzy's Scrapbook. They are both stunning, and I loved visiting the places alongside Elizabeth and Darcy. There were original WW I photos, and pictures of everyday items used by British soldiers and medical personnel. It was fascinating to immerse myself in the experience of the past I didn't know a lot about.

It was very interesting to follow some crucial P&P events unfold in different reality. Some of them were only mentioned as part of D&E memories, but I didn't miss them. I was more interested in watching, what they were going to do with it. Elizabeth's struggles between her role of a proper young lady, and her yearning for independence from a man's whim was fascinating. She was trying to adjust to a new situation the war had put her family in, while she was being forced on a fast track to maturity. Darcy's horrific war experience had made him feel hollow, and he was facing his own struggles to become a better man.

The author's realistic descriptions of soldiers lives and a military hospital's operation kept me spellbound. The spy plot introduced a touch of mystery. I adored all of the original characters (including a little dog named Lili)

As I am a faithful admirer of Regency P&P variations, I would never believe I could be so much in love with a story, that takes place 100 years after the Canon P&P. I'm happy I gave it a try, because I didn't want to offend a friend who had recommended it to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darcy's Hope.

Started Reading
November 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 27, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 Great review! I am finishing the second book and it's also an amazing read! I hope you enjoy it too!

message 2: by Kasia (last edited Dec 27, 2016 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kasia Burlakoff Thanks Claudine, a compliment from my favorite reviewer will make me swoon. I better sit down. :)
I've already read Book 2 and left a review. I loved the second volume even more than the first one.

I go on JAFF boards as KateB, so you may remember me. ;)