Norma's Reviews > The Dry

The Dry by Jane Harper

bookshelves: favorite-reads-of-2017

Holy Cow!  What a wonderful book!  This book definitely had all my senses on high alert while reading this one!

The mood, the atmosphere, the setting, the tone, the format…..

"Her goodbye as she left was as dry as the fields."

THE DRY by JANE HARPER is an absolutely engrossing and compelling whodunit crime mystery / thriller that drew me in right from the very first chapter to the very last page!

JANE HARPER delivers a clever, atmospheric, suspenseful, impressive, and very descriptive read here which was well-written and told in tandem from a past mystery and linking events of a family murder in the present.  What really grabbed my attention with this story was the extremely vivid portrayal of place and time.  The setting surrounding the dry conditions of this small town in Australia was so vivid that it had me desperately wanting and waiting for the rain to pour!

The novel kept me guessing as the mysteries gradually unfolded, although there was nothing real surprising with the reveal it was the way that the author delivered this story that made this book an exceptional read.  I also really enjoyed Aaron Falk’s character and will wait patiently to read the next book in this series.

To sum it all up it was an entertaining, exciting, tense, steady-paced, and a quick read with a very satisfying ending. Highly recommend!!

Review written and posted on our themed book blog Two Sisters Lost In A Coulee Reading.

Coulee: a term applied rather loosely to different landforms, all of which refer to a kind of valley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dry.

December 27, 2016 – Shelved
March 19, 2017 – Started Reading
March 20, 2017 –
March 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews So glad you enjoyed it Norma. Can't wait for full review

Maureen Loved this one myself Norma.

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Such a good one, Norma. So glad that this is the first in a new series. Looking forward to the next one. :)

Karen Yes!!! I get so excited for every 5 star review, and I'm so happy that Falk will be back!!

Maureen I loved this one too! I heard it will be made into a movie.

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Sooooo happy to see 5 stars from you Norma!!! I thought this was a great book too!!

Caitlin Loved this too! Such a gem

Erin Clemence Oh wow, Norma. Great review. This novel looks fantastic.

Sharon I'm starting to believe the hype! I'll have to add this to my summer reading list!

Norma Brenda wrote: "So glad you enjoyed it Norma. Can't wait for full review"

Thank you, Brenda! I am so glad that you put this book on hold for me to read! The tone and feel of this book definitely made it a winner for me! :-)

Norma Maureen wrote: "Loved this one myself Norma."

Yah, I am so glad you loved this one too Maureen! I don't think I will forget this one. :-)

Norma Linda wrote: "Such a good one, Norma. So glad that this is the first in a new series. Looking forward to the next one. :)"

I didn't realize there was a second book coming out so you had me really excited to read your comment Linda! I can hardly wait. I can see why you loved it so much. :-)

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Oh man! I had this on then off. Now I have to reconsider again. Thanks Sisters!

Norma Karen wrote: "Yes!!! I get so excited for every 5 star review, and I'm so happy that Falk will be back!!"

Me too, Karen! I am really excited to revisit this character too. I can see why you really liked this book and gave it 5 stars too! :-)

Norma Maureen wrote: "I loved this one too! I heard it will be made into a movie."

Oh, I am so glad that you loved this one too Maureen! I think this would make an awesome movie! Thanks for letting me know. :D

message 16: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I've been hearing really good things about this one. Now your review makes me want to read it right this minute! I'm glad you enjoyed it....great review!!

message 17: by KAS (new)

KAS Fantastic review, Norma ;) Sounds like quite the page turner! xox

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Norma wrote: "Brenda wrote: "So glad you enjoyed it Norma. Can't wait for full review"

You are welcome! So glad to hear it was a winner for you!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Jen wrote: "Oh man! I had this on then off. Now I have to reconsider again. Thanks Sisters!"

I think you should reconsider, Jen and have one of our great Canadian beers while you are reading it. I would love to hear what you think of it.

Julie This book is awesome. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!

Norma Lindsay wrote: "Sooooo happy to see 5 stars from you Norma!!! I thought this was a great book too!!"

Yah, Lindsay! I know it was so good I am so glad to see your 5 stars too! :-)

Norma Caitlin wrote: "Loved this too! Such a gem"

Oh so glad to see that you loved this book too and couldn't agree more, Caitlin! :-)

Norma Erin wrote: "Oh wow, Norma. Great review. This novel looks fantastic."

Thank you so much, Erin! It was definitely a really impressive read! :-) So glad to see that you added it! I hope you love it too!

Karen Brenda wrote: "Jen wrote: "Oh man! I had this on then off. Now I have to reconsider again. Thanks Sisters!"

Keep this one on your list Jen! You won't regret it!

message 25: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Wonderful review Norma! Glad you enjoyed this one! Sounds really good! Looking forward to reading it!

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina I keep hearing such great things about this one! Such a great review!!

Vanessa Excellent review! I need to get my hands on a copy!

Suzanne Great review, I loved it too!

message 29: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa great Review Norma own this one will have to bump it up I think!

Amanda Such a wonderful review Norma, I'm so glad you loved this one. I'm super keen to read it now! :)

Margitte I so agree, Norma. This was a striking, fabulous read!

message 32: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt SO pleased to see you enjoyed this one, Norma!

message 33: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen A beer and a book works for me, Sister Brenda :D

message 34: by Frances (new) - added it

Frances Wonderful review Norma; I must try and get a copy soon!! :D

Norma Sharon wrote: "I'm starting to believe the hype! I'll have to add this to my summer reading list!"

Believe the hype, Sharon! So glad to see that you added this book and I hope that you enjoy it too! Thanks for commenting! :-)

message 36: by Norma (last edited Mar 22, 2017 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Norma Jen wrote: "Oh man! I had this on then off. Now I have to reconsider again. Thanks Sisters!"

This sister definitely thinks you should put it back on your list Jen! A beer and a book always works for me too but not too many or I don't feel like reading anymore and I can't have that! LOL

Norma Deanna wrote: "I've been hearing really good things about this one. Now your review makes me want to read it right this minute! I'm glad you enjoyed it....great review!!"

Thanks so much, Deanna! I think you should really enjoy this book too! I haven't read one like this that made me so aware of all my senses before. I hope that you enjoy it too and look forward to your review! :-)

Norma KAS wrote: "Fantastic review, Norma ;) Sounds like quite the page turner! xox"

Thanks so much, KAS! :-)

Norma Julie wrote: "This book is awesome. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!"

Thank you, Julie! I am so glad to see that you loved this book too! :-)

Norma Kaceey wrote: "Wonderful review Norma! Glad you enjoyed this one! Sounds really good! Looking forward to reading it!"

Thank you so much, Kaceey! I am so glad that you are looking forward to reading this book! Looking forward to your thoughts! :-)

Mandy Radley Glad you enjoyed this one Norma. It was one of my favourites last year.

Norma Tina wrote: "I keep hearing such great things about this one! Such a great review!!"

Thank you so much, Tina! Yeah, that is how come I read it because of all the positive reviews for this book. It was highly recommended to me by Brenda too! :-)

Norma Vanessa wrote: "Excellent review! I need to get my hands on a copy!"

Thanks so much, Vanessa! So glad to see you added this book! I hope that you enjoy it too! :-)

Norma Suzanne wrote: "Great review, I loved it too!"

Thanks so much, Suzanne! I am go happy to hear that you loved it too! :-)

Norma Lisa wrote: "great Review Norma own this one will have to bump it up I think!"

Thank you so much, Lisa! So glad to hear you are bumping it up. I sure hope that you enjoy this book too! :-)

Norma Amanda wrote: "Such a wonderful review Norma, I'm so glad you loved this one. I'm super keen to read it now! :)"

Thank you so much, Amanda! Great to hear and I really hope that you love this book too! I love all the excitement over this book! :-)

Norma Margitte wrote: "I so agree, Norma. This was a striking, fabulous read!"

Awe, thanks Margitte! I am so happy to see that you rated this 5 stars too! Such an awesome book! :-)

Norma Matt wrote: "SO pleased to see you enjoyed this one, Norma!"

Awe thanks Matt! I am glad to see you enjoyed it too! It was such an easy one to like! :-)

Norma Jen wrote: "A beer and a book works for me, Sister Brenda :D"

I like your thinking Brenda & Jen! :D

Norma Frances wrote: "Wonderful review Norma; I must try and get a copy soon!! :D"

I think so too, Frances and thank you so much for liking my review! :-)

« previous 1