Kelly's Reviews > The Killer in Me

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2016, dnf, reviewed

Meh.

DNF at 64%.

Honestly, I just found this book underwhelming. Perhaps my boredom was mainly due to the curse of misplaced expectations: I pictured an antihero in the vein of Alex Craft, but what we get is an indecisive, somewhat timid, and blandly average teenage girl. You know, except for the serial killer whose mind she shares when dreaming.

Making matters worse is the introduction of Nina's childhood friend/teenage drug dealer, Warren. The story is told from their alternating perspectives, even though Warren really doesn't add much to the narrative. He has even less of a personality than Nina, and there's absolutely zero chemistry between the two (though I assume they hook up by the end of the book).

He’s also the one who tries to rationalize Nina’s visions, leading to scene after tedious scene of self-doubt. This also gives rise to some weird plot stuff; for example, even though there’s never been any question in Nina’s mind that her connection to Dylan only goes one way, she sets up a series of tests to see if she can trick him into acknowledging her existence. Like, why though? They…don’t prove anything?

Anyway, the book isn't terrible; I just couldn't bring myself to care enough about anyone to finish it. I think if you shaved 100 pages off you'd have a much more tense and compelling psychological thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killer in Me.

December 26, 2016 – Started Reading