Mizuki's Reviews > The Woman in Cabin 10

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

liked it
bookshelves: chinese-translation, detective-novels, it-is-okay

The Woman in Cabin 10 is an effective thriller with a charming setting and good writing, so I'm entertained by it for most of the time, although the characters are a bit on the cardboard cutout side, plus the murder mystery brings nothing new to the table--the trick is just so, so old and I remember at least two Hollywood movies using similar tricks back then , plus I can list at least 10 Japanese novelists who can write ways better thrillers with similar setting. Also, I'm a bit sick of all these emotionally fragile and/or mentally unstable female narrators who we can find in almost every crime thriller penned by women since the 2000s, so 3 stars only.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in Cabin 10.

December 27, 2016 – Shelved
December 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 2, 2018 – Started Reading
page 12
3.53% "So far so good, but what's the deal with the heroine's drinking problem?"
page 95
27.94% "Things get interesting!!!"
page 125
October 6, 2018 –
page 340
100.0% "3.2 stars, it is an okayish thriller."
October 9, 2018 – Shelved as: chinese-translation
October 9, 2018 – Shelved as: detective-novels
October 9, 2018 – Shelved as: it-is-okay
October 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

pdbkwm Out of the three books that I've read from her, I thought this was her best one. I do agree that it feels old and the trick isn't all that exciting, but I still had a blast reading it.

I'm not sure if you've read her other books, but the author has a thing with characters who are damaged in some sort of way.

Mizuki pdbkwm wrote: "Out of the three books that I've read from her, I thought this was her best one. I do agree that it feels old and the trick isn't all that exciting, but I still had a blast reading it.

I'm not sur..."

This book is entertaining and the writing is quite okay but when I comparing it with what those Japanese mystery novelists can write, the tricks done by Ms. Ware is so, so, so unoriginal and overused.

I already borrowed 'In a Dark Dark Woods', I can only hope this one doesn't disappoint me.

I am okay with damaged characters, but I'm getting sick of the overflow of emotionally unstable and/or mentally fragile heroines (or heroines with a drinking/drug problem) from every single female mystery novelist ever since the publishing of Gone Girl.