Kyle McCreary's Reviews > My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business

My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business by Dick Van Dyke

4198256
Jul 15, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, biography, autobiography

Wow, what a great read! I usually don't spend time reading bio/autobiographies of still-living people, but I'm such a long-time fan of Mr. Van Dyke that when I heard about his newly published memoirs, I just had to read it. Believe me, it was not a disappointment. From the first paragraph on, this book was almost as full of laughs as the original The Dick Van Dyke Show series. With the wonder and enjoyment of Mary Poppins thrown in, to boot! As he points out right from the start, there are no scandals here. I must admit I was a little disappointed by the kid-glove handling of the broken family and divorce, but I also realize that I'm a little more sensitive about such things than most in today's culture and he does treat it as a serious topic, just down-played. But there were so many things that I never knew about this great entertainer's life, from the way he first got into "the business" and the things that shaped his life and career to the lengthy struggle he had in overcoming alcoholism. But in spite of the hard times, he really has had (or should I say, made) a charmed life. And he covers it all here in heartwarming candor, from the most scandalous thing that ever happened to him (his birth) all the way up through his plans for this very afternoon.

If you have ever enjoyed having high tea on the ceiling with Bert and Uncle Albert, falling over the ottoman with Rob and Mary Petrie, or skating through the halls of Community General Hospital with Dr. Mark Sloan — you will absolutely love My Lucky Life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business.

message 1: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey I love Dick Van Dyke! Thanks, I've added this to my to-read list.

Kyle McCreary After reading this, we added the old Dick Van Dyke Show series to our Netflix queue and got the first DVD in on Friday. The kids are already addicted! ;-)