Becca von Zweck's Reviews > Ever the Hunted

Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill

I listened to the audio book of Ever the Hunted and I am so glad I did. The narrator has a British accent, which is always more fun, and she lends so much passion and vibrancy to Britta's voice. And somehow, despite some of the violence and sad scenes, her voice made the story a very soothing one to listen to as well.

Although Britta's story is ultimately one of revenge it's also one of friendship, self discovery, survival, forgiveness and adventure. She's been struggling to survive on her own for several months, and suddenly she finds herself in danger of being sentenced to death, before being sent out on a mission to capture and bring in the person who murdered her father in exchange for her own life. It all happens very suddenly and she has to deal with the sudden change of leaving her home for the first time and struggle with the betrayal of someone she's always believed in.

On her journey to track down her fathers killer, Britta makes unexpected allies, falls in love and discovers a shocking secret about her mothers past and her own abilities. The entirety of the book takes place in the woods or on the road, as Britta and her friend Cohen travel from town to town, stumbling upon unexpected findings and trying to gather information, all while on the run from the men who wish the frame the wrong man for the crime of her fathers murder. They encounter people with magical powers that are forbidden in their own kingdom, face conflict among each other and the uncertainty of their relationship and slowly reunite after months apart as secrets threaten to harm their fragile new romance. The story is slow moving, but not in a way that made it boring or unsatisfying. It felt perfectly paced to me and not too over dramatic or unrealistic.

The romance in Ever the Hunted is of the friends-to-lovers kind, one of my favorite kinds of love story tropes. It's slow-burn and not rushed, made up of mutual respect, trust, passion and desire. It definitely was my favorite part of the book. Seriously, it made my heart ache. Cohen is the perfect amount of sensitive, sweet, gruff and serious. He's not too broody-he's playful and laid back at times but still takes Britta seriously and is protective without being over possessive. My heart just bursts with love for him.

Although it's not completely action packed and took awhile to get into, I found Ever the Hunted to be very entertaining, beautifully written and full of moments that both tore my heart into pieces and mended it. I loved Britta and Cohen's journey and the strength they offered one another. I can't wait to read book two to see how their relationship progresses further.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever the Hunted.

December 26, 2016 – Shelved