Elise Luquette's Reviews > Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare

Aug 01, 2017

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2017

Not my favorite Shadowhunters book but not terrible... just okay. It probably didn't need to be 700 pages long and I had some character issues but I really liked the villain. (except Zara... just take her plotline out... )

FULL REVIEW COMING SOON

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Shadows.

Quotes Elise Liked

Cassandra Clare
“When people die, our dreams of what they could be die with them. Even if ours is the hand that ends them.”

Cassandra Clare
“Everyone is afraid of something. We fear things because we value them. We fear losing people because we love them. We fear dying because we value being alive. Don't wish you didn't fear anything. All that would mean is that you didn't feel anything.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes the most ruthless heart speaks the most truth”

Cassandra Clare
“Lex malla, lex nulla,” said Julian with a regretful wave of his hand. It was the Blackthorn family motto: A bad law is no law.
“I wonder what other family mottoes are,” Emma mused. “Do you know any?”
“The Lightwood family motto is ‘We mean well.’ ”
“Very funny.”
Julian looked over at her. “No, really, it actually is.”
“Seriously? So what’s the Herondale family motto? ‘Chiseled but angsty’?”
He shrugged. ‘If you don’t know what your last name is, it’s probably Herondale’?”
Emma burst out laughing. “What about Carstairs?” she asked, tapping Cortana. “ ‘We have a sword’? ‘Blunt instruments are for losers’?”
“Morgenstern,” offered Julian. “ ‘When in doubt, start a war’?”

Cassandra Clare
“There were valuable first editions of books in the enormous library, most of them had been scribbled in by some idiot named Will H.”

Cassandra Clare
“I think you cannot root out love entirely. I think where there has been love, there will always be embers, as the remains of a bonfire outlast the flame.”

December 26, 2016 – Shelved