Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)'s Reviews > Metro 2035

Metro 2035 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

Read 2 times. Last read December 26, 2016 to January 6, 2017.

(view spoiler)

Dear, Future Corp.,
Thank you very much for publishing a fantastic book “Metro 2035” and giving us, readers, many pleasant moments while reading it. I enjoyed it a lot and I think it was a wise decision to publish the whole series. But please, can you get author Dmitry Glukhovsky, sit him by a computer, tie him to a chair and force to write a sequel because I just refuse to accept the way the story ended? Please?

description

I am not saying this book is flawless (I would have given it a lower rating, but radiation level filled the last star). It has its ups and downs – some chapters were really impressive while some were just meh, and sometimes it was really annoying to read Artyom’s soul-crushing whining about life and meaning, but I just never read anything like “Metro” series before. I also missed the mystery and suspense that previous books had, but series as the whole have it has its own uniqueness that many books don’t.

And Artyom is awesome (despite the fact that all possible worst things in life already happened for him). I am still not sure if I particularly enjoyed the bright and very clearly recognizable narrative of Man VS. Society, but this narrative proved to work well for Artyom as a character – he came out as a fighter and flawed, but nevertheless, a hero, who kept hope when everyone else lost their belief in him.

description

It was great that plot expanded, got developed further. I could even tell that "Metro 2035" is a great example of how different genres can work in one book. The whole book not only explored the inner world of Artyom, but also masterfully told us all necessary facts about the life underground with all its macabre, horror and unpleasantness. It have a great look and analysis of different people and their behavior.

But somebody probably will hit me with a shovel, because I will repeat the quote by G.R.R.Martin for 100th time again – “The end needs to be as strong as the beginning.” And, damn, was the end as strong as the beginning, Future Corp.? I don’t think so. Instead of a BOOM we got blah. The whole book analyzed actions, systems, people, explained everything, but the end was like slam of the door. Just that. Noting less, nothing more. I think that was disappointing. Just let’s say what Artyom did at the end he could have done many pages before – and you could tell that was coming. I missed the “grand finale” aspect, something that could have made my jaw drop.

So, please, dear Future Corp., think about my idea mentioned above – about tying to a chair and forcing to write a sequel and etc. Even if it says “The final instalment of the cult trilogy” on the “Metro 2035” cover, I am sure something can be done and we can make a deal.

A bit radioactive,
SadSunday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Metro 2035.

Finished Reading (Audio CD Edition)
March 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Audio CD Edition)
March 6, 2016 – Shelved (Audio CD Edition)
December 26, 2016 – Started Reading
December 26, 2016 – Shelved
December 26, 2016 –
page 56
11.27% "I LIKE MY SC.FI DARK AND UNDERGROUND! \n\ndescription"
December 28, 2016 –
page 101
20.32% "I am declaring chapter "Eight Meters" one of the best chapters in the history of books."
January 1, 2017 –
page 200
40.24% "ARTYOM, YOU'RE CRAZY, BUT I LIKE YOU O_O"
January 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Efka "sometimes it was really annoying to read Artyom’s soul-crushing whining about life and meaning"

So very much russian :))

message 2: by Sad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) Efka wrote: ""sometimes it was really annoying to read Artyom’s soul-crushing whining about life and meaning"

So very much russian :))"

Just sometimes it was enough of Artyom's depression.

Efka Pala, o tai kokia kalba tu skaitei?

message 4: by Sad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) Efka wrote: "Pala, o tai kokia kalba tu skaitei?"

Engliš.

Efka Žodžiu, yra taip. Pabaiga buvo tobula ir vienintelė logiškai įmanoma. Vo.