Caitlín (Ink Mage)'s Reviews > Brisingr

Mar 24, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: draconic
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Christopher Paolini's writing seemed (to me) to have somehow changed in a way that made it harder for me to fall into than Eragon and Eldest were.
As a whole I liked the story, but there wasn't the excitement of I-have-to-see-what-happens-next like before. Especially when Eragon is in Tronjheim I was just wishing that he would freaking LEAVE already! That part seemed particularly drawn-out and boring to me.
A few other issues I had with it:
I found some characters *cough*Arya*cough rather too changed. She's so much softer it's annoying, and then she suddenly opens up to Eragon randomly and you don't know why. Nothing romantic in that yet, but I have a feeling there will be in the next book. Nasuada, too, was suddenly this wonderful leader who knows exactly what to do and has no flaws. When did she become this way, exactly?
Roran was interesting, and you can really feel the bond between him and Eragon, but why the heck was he being mutilated so much in this book? Every time we got to see what he was up to, he was being whipped, gored, cut with a sword, or withstanding some kind of horrible pain--but he thought of Katrina and his unborn child and could bear it.
I liked the chapters that followed Saphira while she and Eragon were separated, but the way she--and, on two occasions, Glaedr--thought of things (i.e. Nasuada's folded-red-wing-butterfly-chrysalis-tent or whatever she called it) seemed very primitive for her being so wise and her vocabulary so developed. Ah well, I guess it was supposed to be different.

The fans at Shurtugal.com voted on polls predicting what they thought would happen in this book (or the next), and in five out of eight of the polls the winning vote was correct. (And the ones that weren't correct were the ones unanswered in Brisingr, so they probably will be in book IV.) Ugh. I guess either Inheritance fans know the books really well or Paolini's stories are just too predictable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brisingr.

Steven Hummer Here is how how I've pictured Arya I see her in my imagination to look like the elf chick in the lord of the Rings that Aragorn is in love with throughout all the books I've pictured her as a grown woman so for me the Ragon Arya love story just feels very awkward.
I totally agree the dwarf stuff dragged on FOR EVER but Eragon did get in that fight in the tunnels and that was one of my favorite fights in this book.
Just thought I'd offer my brief take on a few topics :)