Emma Giordano's Reviews > Of Fire and Stars

Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO SO MUCH. I am 100% filming a video review because WOW more people need to read this story.

If you're looking for a fantasy novel with an LGBT+ relationship, I would highly recommend this one! I can't personally speak for the representation, but to my interpretation, this world's view of sexuality is extremely balanced. I feel the best way I can describe it is by this: The problem is NEVER that these two girls have fallen in love with each other and that's bad because they are of the same gender. The problem is that two girls have fallen in love while one is betrothed to the other's brother. In an interview I read with the author, she expressed that she created a world where homophobia does not exist (hello this is what fantasy was created for) so I can promise you, the dismissal of sexuality will not be found within the pages of this book. What I got out of it was in this world, "Love is Love" and that was really refreshing to see, especially in fantasy.

Additionally, the sexuality of my new favorite princess couple are never disclosed in the book. I think it's wonderful that we have a book that does not enforce any sort of pressure to define yourself using labels and allows way for interpretation by the reader. Also, it's an own voices LGBT+ novel (*shoots fist into air*).

This is sincerely one of the best romances I have read in a really long time. Just the combined presence of Denna & Mare in the same room together had my heart fluttering. Their chemistry is absolutely electric and you can really tell that there is a deep, true love between the two. I would probably give up my first born child or something if it meant I got to read more of their adventures together.

For a standalone fantasy novel, I feel the magic system was really well developed! I would have loved to see it expanded more through an extended series (obviously you can tell I'm bitter I don't have more books to look forward to) but regardless, it was unique and well explained!

The only negative thing I really felt about this book is the political relationships weren't delved into as much. This is something I almost ALWAYS have an issue with in high fantasy novels with expansive histories, so it may just be me! I would have liked some more development on that end, but I don't feel it significantly impacted the story in any way.

In conclusion; This book was amazing. I am obsessed. It's at the top of my recommendations list. I'd do anything for a sequel. #NewFavoriteStatus. Please pick this one up. Thank you for your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Fire and Stars.

December 25, 2016 – Shelved
December 25, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 28, 2017 – Started Reading
January 28, 2017 –
page 197
50.64% "GUYS THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD. Definitely had a bit of a slow start, but the plot has begun to develop & I feel a better connection to the characters. The romance is just starting to bubble and giving me ALLL the feels & I am just absolutely loving it!!!"
February 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Kati I've just finished this one for Diverseathon and loved it so much. I'm developing my review now.

Christen (GoldiloxReads) I started reading this one for Diverseathon and the first couple of chapters were a bit slow. I'm glad to hear it picks up because I really want this one to be good!!!

Marybeth Buskirk I am a lesbian and I loved the representation :)

message 4: by Gianna (new)

Gianna thanks for this review!! i was super excited to read this a few weeks ago and put it down because the beginning was slow. your review makes me want to continue on!!!

Brittney Monroe It was my first LGBT read, and I can honestly say I was impressed and in love with the story line!

Jennifer wonderful! I just bought it a while ago and I can't wait to read it now. It may be added into my TBR this month, or next month if I can't fit it in.

Alex Anderson I've already read this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I enjoyed the LGBT element between two girls and I was overall impressed with the writing style of the book!

Hazel This book was amazing, I literally just finished it

Randi I agree! This book is one of the LGBTQ books I've read that doesn't fetish the lifestyle or only expand on the intimate scenes with no character development/personalities. I think the author did a great job with normalizing this as it should be. I'm tired of books that constantly have to have the "Omg I'm gay?!" moment.

Bailey Rister Finished this book in two days it was amazing! So happy I watched your review. It really inspired me to pick it up!

Misha Ricci I just finished it and found out a sequel is on the horizon! Looks like you don’t have to give up a child after all haha