Rebecca's Reviews > Another Book About Design: Complicated Doesn't Make It Bad

Another Book About Design by Mark Gonyea

Mar 24, 2008

bookshelves: favoriteillustrations, nonfiction, design, gift-books, simple-is-best, young-artists
Recommended for: 1st grade and up; art teachers

Dedication: "This book is dedicated to my favorite shape, the circle."

The book which precedes this one (A Book About Design) was so good that I was excited to see a sequel! Hooray for simple books that teach basic design concepts. From a personal artistic standpoint, I really relish "back-to-basics" explanations, and no one does this better than Mark Gonyea.

"Each design element is everything it is and everything it is not. That's called positive and negative space. When you create one thing, like this dot, you are actually creating two things -- the dot and the area around the dot."

The bold, clean illustrations put together the concepts one by one to form the cover image -- a wonderful way to turn theory (and there are a LOT of dry books about design theory) into practice. Examples of what works and what doesn't are why I also love Molly Bang's "Picture This: How Pictures Work," and "Forget All the Rules About Graphic Design, Including the Ones in This Book," by Bob Gill (not written for kids, though).

Hmmm...maybe I missed my calling as a graphic designer...?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Book About Design.