Bradley's Reviews > Space Tripping

Space Tripping by Patrick  Edwards

bookshelves: 2017-shelf, sci-fi, space-opera, worldbuilding-sf

Goodbye dirty old Earth, Hello dirty old Galaxy!

I really enjoyed the opening in this novel. It felt quite humorous and quite a corporate nightmare with aliens in portraits and getting stuck with the short end of the wage-stick no matter where you're from or what you plan on doing. Truckers always get it worse than anyone else, and these poor dudes never get a break.

The rest of the novel quickly turns into a straight adventure with a bit of slight drunkenness as they get thrown into a bit of mystery, a bit of fighting, and a bit of hijinx in the greater galactic dirty old town.

The author grew up in Chicago. Just apply that whole idea into a much stranger "business as usual" galactic environment full of sad chuckles and surprising twists and you've got yourself Space Tripping. This is a pretty accomplished adventure that reminds me an awful lot of The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet as well as a hint of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with plenty of our geek culture nods because, after all, one of the main characters was just one of us. Just how would you fare when you get stung with a slightly different version of a babel fish? (Thank god he didn't have to swallow that one!) :)

I think this was just plain fun! Plain folks for the win! :)

Thanks to Netgalley for this ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Space Tripping.

December 24, 2016 – Shelved
December 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 9, 2017 – Started Reading
January 10, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-shelf
January 10, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 10, 2017 – Shelved as: space-opera
January 10, 2017 – Shelved as: worldbuilding-sf
January 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Had me a "a lot like A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet"!

Bradley It's light, but it knows it's SF fandom, so on that note, I can't recommend it enough. :)