Tina Hamilton's Reviews > Poser: My Life in Twenty-three Yoga Poses

Poser by Claire Dederer

Jul 13, 2011

Read in July, 2011

When I saw the title of this book, it turned me off, to be honest. Those of you who know me, know that I practice yoga. So, let's just say I had my doubts. However, the book was a good read. The nonfiction narrative takes place over many years while she is working, raising a family, bucking up a sometimes depressed husband, and so on. They are both writers. She started yoga after injuring her back while breastfeeding/carrying around her first child. From that first yoga class, she started a yoga journey that she stuck with during moves and difficult times. There is not too much yoga language, sanskrit, new age malarkey, or some of the items that turn people off to yoga. It does tell how her yoga practice helped her understand some of what was going on in her life. Best of all, she studied with everyone, from the inexperienced down the street to the "guru" John Friend in Boulder, Colorado. Interesting read. She also (perhaps by accident) communicates that yoga is a long-time practice and over the years, the practice will change. What you once wanted to accomplish becomes less important as you begin to better understand your body and not struggle in your psoes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poser.