Amber's Reviews > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

22081507
Dec 23, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: classics, fiction, ibooks, sherlock-holmes

Review posted on my blog The Writer's Library.

Oh, if only I had been able to fly through this one in time to finish off the 2016 reading challenge.... You just can't win them all, can you?
I hate to say this, but I really prefer Arthur Conan Doyle novels to the short stories. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the stories in this book, it's just that I felt like most of them were weighed down by clients' stories of whatever their problems were. I felt like, as a result, the mysteries were cleared up so quickly that I missed the solutions to some of them! It was good, overall, but it wasn't as good as The Hound of the Baskervilles or The Valley of Fear, simply because I did not feel as immersed in the shorter stories as I did all four novels.
I want to point out that this has nothing to do with Conan Doyle as a writer, however. I've read all of his Holmes novels and The Lost World and those were all exceptional works of genius. I have no doubt that Conan Doyle is brilliant. Short stories have just never been my cup of tea, personally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

December 23, 2016 – Shelved
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: sherlock-holmes
December 25, 2016 – Started Reading
December 26, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "I found a quote the show "Sherlock" used! \n\n"I have come for advice."\n"That is easily got." \n"And help." \n"That is not always so easy.""
January 4, 2017 – Finished Reading